Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
Rookie

Default What kind of video card is needed for this LCD TV

I am in the process of getting a HD TV screen that will be hook up directly on my computer for game/movie/tv.
The current video card I have is a 8800 GTX manualy overclocked and water cooled at 2250MHz/655MHz.
I was wondering if I will have problem running a 42po ACL screen at 1080p with a resolution of 1 920 x 1 080 to play games and watch movies etc..and use the second D-DVI connector to run a 19po monitor at the same time.

Sharp Aquos 1080p 42" LCD HDTV** (LC42D72U)

HDTV url:
Sharp.ca Sharp at Home

I will post here and in the display section sorry about the dual post.
Modo delete the post you want if you think one of them is useless and located in the wrong place.
Thank you to provide feedback.
Old August 10, 2007, 01:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You should be fine. Depends on the game I guess. While gaming you could switch to single display mode and probably gain some performance.

It doesn't appear to have VGA or DVI so your going to have to pickup a DVI-to-HDMI cable. You may also have to play around with the settings on the TV itself too.

There isn't anything better than the GTX anyways.
Old August 10, 2007, 02:11 PM
Banned
F@H

You should not have many issues running desktop with both monitors, however 3-D is something else itself.

1920x1080, 16xAF and 4xAA, really requires 2 cards for alot of recent titles.

You may find that you are running 1280x720 with 4xAA or higher, and 16xAF, with one card, in order to keep performance at a decent level. Just try to find a TV that supports this resolution natively(720p), and you're all set, or be prepared to be un-amazed.
Old August 10, 2007, 02:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

well unfortunately I'd disagree as your TV will lag if you attempt to use your computer at the same time as watching///recording any programs especially if you're gaming. And by lag I mean that your TV guide will not be updated or turning channels may take up to a minute or two dependent on what you're doing on your pc

I would also suggest buying the HDMI-HDMI cable and buying the HDMI-DVI connector separately as you'll save a lot of money that way

I had my pc hooked up to my new 42" LCD as well as my 24" LCD monitor via the new ATI 650 TV card and the picture was fantastic but attempting to make it a multimedia pc failed and I am back to digital cable and gaming on my pc until I build a HTPC