Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2009, 02:17 PM
MVP

Default heat issues

so my 4870 x2 is running idle at about 72C, and when running a game lets say fear 2 ill play for about a hour and just lock up. during that play time i hear no sign of my card throttling up or trying to fight the temperatures. it is in a bit of a small room with a air vent infront of it (during the summer is pumping cold air though...). i have installed ReviaTunner and set my fan up with someones settings, and now my fan runs idle at about 3600RPM and i have not tested it under load yet. Im hoping this solves my problem, but if not i will be replacing my LED case fans with some 4000 RPM controllable fans.

I have also removed the dust filters from the front vents on my case in hopes of letting more air be pulled through. i am also constantly running the temperature log in the background recording so if i fail i can see what my temp was at.

Any advice, or optimal settings would be appreciated!

im also wondering, does anyone know any G19 applications that cant watch my cards temperature, so far im using e-leet but that's just core temps.

Down to 44C at 3500RPM.

on a separate note, is their any way to mount intake fans at the front of a armor LCS case with the water cooling components removed? im thinking a medium speed intake fan would help majorly!

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old August 21, 2009, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a g15 which works with everest ultimate to display temps. Have you set your fan speed higher? Regardless 70 is high for an idle temp
Old August 21, 2009, 02:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
I have a g15 which works with everest ultimate to display temps. Have you set your fan speed higher? Regardless 70 is high for an idle temp
i now idle at 3500RPM / 44C.

and the G15 apps are still incomparable with the G19.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old August 21, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can't fix it with computer fans or software, your best bet is to take off the side panel, purchase a room fan and make it blow right into the case. Best cooling solution out there really, aside from automated LN2 :P.
Old August 21, 2009, 05:33 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
If you can't fix it with computer fans or software, your best bet is to take off the side panel, purchase a room fan and make it blow right into the case. Best cooling solution out there really, aside from automated LN2 :P.

the issue was actually not heat... it was a combination of my firewall conflicting with my LAN card, and generic game issues! but its all working, ran crysis for 3 hours, no hickups!

however im buying better case fans.... because its a small room with a closed door, so it slowly heats up... its like some sort of gamers oven

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock

Last edited by ToXic; August 21, 2009 at 05:50 PM.