Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2009, 09:38 AM
Rookie

Default HTPC Environment DVI->HDMI Issue

Hi,

Having an issue with a Radeon HD4350 that hope I can get resolved before I need to take it back. Just put together an HTPC, all new components using Windows 7 Release can. HTPC sends video via HDMI thru Onkyo preamp which sends to an Epson 1080UB projector.

Wondering what others are doing with HTPC setups that use HDMI receivers and projectors or TVís? Are you having connectivity issues? Key here is the video is thru the receiver.

I purchased an XFX HD4350 1gig video card as an upgrade to the HD3200 integrated graphics in a LIAN LI low profile case. Very limited selection of low profile video cards that are quiet.

Setup: Asus M4A78-EM / AMD Athlon 5050e / GSKILL 4 gig / Corsair 650TX, LG BluRay DVD burner.

I had this setup working via integrated HD3200 graphics. Setup was connected via HDMI to my Onkyo preamp which outputs to Epson 1080UB. I had issues getting the HD3200 signal thru the Onkyo to the projector at first then it started working. No idea why it started working it just did. Component power up sequence does seem to matter.

The bug hit me to try another video card, bought the HD4350 DVI card from BestBuy in case I have to return it, cheaper than RMA back to NewEgg. I installed the card booted to my Gateway monitor, installed all drivers, then connected back into my HT environment using a DVI->HMI Rockfish adapter to the Onkyo.

No picture will come up. Epson Projector or Onkyo reports on screen the signal is out of sync. I got this same message when I first used the HD3200 settings but eventually it came up.

Not sure if the Rockfish DVI->HDMI adapter is the cause. I have a HIS DVI->HDMI Adapter for HD4K Series Model HHDMI4071 coming and should be here today. Hope this fixes what ails things. The HIS adapter is designed for ATI DVI->HDMI so I have my fingers crossed.

Any ideas on what I can check or set to get what I have working? I don't see anywhere in the bios that I can turn off the integrated graphics. There is an order you can change as to which card gets used first.

If I do get the HD4350 working can I hybrid crossfire the HD3200 with the HD4350? I think I saw this somewhere during my research.

Thanks in advance.....

Paul
Old August 13, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Usually each Radeon HD card comes with an adapter unless the vendor skips out on it. Was this the case? The HIS adapter may prove to be what is needed in this case.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'd say your generic adapter could be causing your sync issues.
Use the adapter that you have coming in that's made for the ATI cards (its not the same as a regular DVI-HDMI adapter AFAIK) and try going one notch lower on your resolution before going to your maximum. By that i mean, if your project is 1080p, try 720p first and see if syncs. Let us know!
Old August 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
Rookie

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

The HD4350 did not come with the adapter. I picked the Rockfish adapter up as open box a couple of months ago thinking I may need it.

I was thinking this was my issue when I researched DVI->HDMI adapters and learned that ATI needs a special one.

Anyone have thoughts on if the HD4350 will perform better than the integrated HD3200? HIS has a low profile HD4550 using a fan that I was thinking about but my current HTPC is dead quiet now and I want it to stay that way.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:08 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Couldn't say for sure, but I would say about 2x the 3D performance, and much better onboard decoding and audio (8-channel lpcm - surround sound). 4xxx series has UVD2 so it can also do things like picture-in-picture on newer blurays, the 3xxx series cannot.
Old August 13, 2009, 05:25 PM
Rookie

Fixed. The HIS ATI DVI->HDMI worked. :) Thanks all ......