Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   PhysX with ATI? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/21820-physx-ati.html)

ToXic August 11, 2009 05:56 PM

PhysX with ATI?
 
so i have a 4870 x2, and im thinking of buying a Nvidia card to do solely PhysX work, and so i need help in knowing what one to get. Im new to the idea of mixing cards, but i dont want to buy a High end Nvidia card only, so im looking for a lower cost PhysX alternative.

Thanks!

SKYMTL August 11, 2009 06:14 PM

Sorry, PhysX GPU acceleration is Nvidia only....for the time being.

enaberif August 11, 2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 238794)
Sorry, PhysX GPU acceleration is Nvidia only....for the time being.

I can't recall if Vista allows it but I'm 99% sure that Windows 7 is going to allow for mix and match of cards no?

ToXic August 11, 2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 238796)
I can't recall if Vista allows it but I'm 99% sure that Windows 7 is going to allow for mix and match of cards no?


well i may have to use my windows 7 RC....

Iv heard i can buy a Ageia PPU and use the older drivers to achieve what im after? cant seem to find one online though

Although when the 300 series hits the shelf, i think ill try Nvidia... although i do like my 7900 GO on my XPS M1710, its a great card for what i do with it!

martin_metal_88 August 11, 2009 06:23 PM

I don't think seven will allow to mix card because of the driver. I really doubt 7 can run ATI and Nvidia driver at the same time. According to many forum ( wich is a pretty wierd source ) Win 7 allow mixing of VGA with the same chip. I think we will have to contact microsoft on this one :) who want to call them:P

Ask for more

ToXic August 11, 2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 238804)
I don't think seven will allow to mix card because of the driver. I really doubt 7 can run ATI and Nvidia driver at the same time.

Ask for more


7 Will let you mix it, i found out how, but the new drivers disable PhysX with a ATI card in a slot.

How to do it: confirmed how to run ati+nvidia in win7 -includes benchmarks and how to setup - Guru3D.com Forums

enaberif August 11, 2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 238804)
I don't think seven will allow to mix card because of the driver. I really doubt 7 can run ATI and Nvidia driver at the same time. According to many forum ( wich is a pretty wierd source ) Win 7 allow mixing of VGA with the same chip. I think we will have to contact microsoft on this one :) who want to call them:P

Ask for more

Ati & Nvidia in windows 7? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Read a few posts.

You can.

SKYMTL August 11, 2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 238796)
I can't recall if Vista allows it but I'm 99% sure that Windows 7 is going to allow for mix and match of cards no?

Nvidia has since blocked this from their drivers according to my tests...

In RC versions of 7 you could have two drivers present at the same time and that hasn't changed but the PhysX is now greyed out when using Catalyst drivers alongside Nvidia ones.

enaberif August 11, 2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 238807)
Nvidia has since blocked this from their drivers according to my tests...

In RC versions of 7 you could have two drivers present at the same time and that hasn't changed but the PhysX is now greyed out when using Catalyst drivers alongside Nvidia ones.

Oh pftt stupid nvidia!

ToXic August 11, 2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 238807)
Nvidia has since blocked this from their drivers according to my tests...

In RC versions of 7 you could have two drivers present at the same time and that hasn't changed but the PhysX is now greyed out when using Catalyst drivers alongside Nvidia ones.

Only with new drivers, witch provided enough demand someone will probably engineer to support ATI. the old drivers will still let it work although.

Im thinking PhysX is a bit of a dead fish now though isnt it?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 PM.