Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Intel's roadmap says that we should be able to hit 11 nm, but you would have no idea just how much leakage current would be inside those chips. Gates that are a mere two to three atoms thick is going to cause a lot of problems. I think it's time we start looking into memristor technology and other things, because I can just see physics getting in the way.

Here's a good read:

Quantum tunnelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old August 2, 2009, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Intel's roadmap says that we should be able to hit 11 nm, but you would have no idea just how much leakage current would be inside those chips. Gates that are a mere two to three atoms thick is going to cause a lot of problems. I think it's time we start looking into memristor technology and other things, because I can just see physics getting in the way.

Here's a good read:

Quantum tunnelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, nice!
Dell XPS 630i / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.67GHz / Stock Cooling (Temporary) / 6GB DDR2 800 RAM + 4GB Windows ReadyBoost/ Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT / Samsung SpinPoint 640GB + Seagate FreeAgent 250GB / 750W PSU / Nvidia Nforce 650i SLI / Logitech X-235 Speakers + Plantronics .Audio 370 Gaming Headset / Dell 22' E228WFP / Razer DeathAdder /Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Airshehan
Old August 2, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
We can only hope. It would solve all our problems.
LOL - now that's the spirit Don't want to sound like a hypocrite but at some point I tend to agree !

Anyhow, back to the topic - Let's talk about realtime raytracing, I think with this processor coupled with the new INtel 11nm 12 core processor, it should be a piece of cake - Now I wonder the power consumption of such a videocard - I hate to think that we are going to requir a dedicated 220VAC connection to run our computers in the future since it's obvious the 15amp circuit breaker won't handle it ;) I am have a big problem with the fact my computer down the line will consume as much electricity as my dryer !
Old August 2, 2009, 08:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Now I wonder the power consumption of such a videocard - I hate to think that we are going to requir a dedicated 220VAC connection to run our computers in the future since it's obvious the 15amp circuit breaker won't handle it ;) I am have a big problem with the fact my computer down the line will consume as much electricity as my dryer !
Easy fix for me. I got myself a direct 120V 15A line ran for my PC already. Wouldn't be overly difficult to pull some new wire and put in a different breaker to get me 220V and however many amps I need

In theory though, shouldn't stuff become more power efficient?
Old August 2, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In theory - but then how come you have kilowatt power supplies, new cards with higher power consumptions - yes maybe those new chips will be power efficient but they still will likely run on much more power than we are used to now.....

As far as installing a dedicated connection yourself - that's not too obvious when you live in a house and your circuit box is in the basement, and computer room is upstairs and you have to open up your walls and ceilings to locate the wires.... no thanks.