Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Weird Issue (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/20332-weird-issue.html)

lcdguy July 16, 2009 08:57 AM

Weird Issue - FIXED :)

For any other XFX 4890 Owners or other 4890 owners (single card, not CF). I am experinecing a weird issue when gaming in bioshock. I noticed that the top part of my screen seems to be a half second behind the lower half. Almost like a tearing. I have the settings maxed out and the res it's running at is 2560x1600. Is this normal or is the card just not strong enough for a 30" monitor in games. UPDATE: I managed to fix my issue. I set my vista to use aero an suddenly everything was fixed. Go figure :)

JD July 16, 2009 09:06 AM

Do you have v-sync enabled? That might fix it.

lcdguy July 16, 2009 09:10 AM

no, i don't normally run v-sync.

rjbarker July 17, 2009 09:14 AM

You guys do realize that you require a hell of a lot of "poop" to run some of these games "Maxed out" on a 30" Native res monitor.....
I would run minimum 2 x GPU's (SLI or XFire) for that screen.

Infiniti July 17, 2009 09:24 AM

I'm pretty sure you have to enable v-sync to avoid tearing in games. It helped make my source games more smooth, that's for sure.

rjbarker July 17, 2009 09:29 AM

^ You're absolutely correct Infiniti, however with VSynch enabled the OP will probably see a further reduction in FPS.....I simply can't see running some of these games on a 30" monitor w a single GPU. Even a 295 CO-OP will be pushed to the extreme on a 30"....

Infiniti July 17, 2009 09:32 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't tearing occur when the FPS goes above the monitor's refresh rate? All v-sync does is cap the FPS to 60, so most likely he was over 60 fps for the tearing to occur.

rjbarker July 17, 2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't tearing occur when the FPS goes above the monitor's refresh rate? All v-sync does is cap the FPS to 60, so most likely he was over 60 fps for the tearing to occur.
You're absolutely correct, however, I do not use VSynch and I am constantly getting around 90 - 100 FPS playing FC2 with very little screen tearing at all....thier is a little more to this then what meets the eye from what I've seen.
I have seen terrible screen tearing on my older rigs, but my 2 newer ones very little at all, all on 60Hz 5ms
I find enabling Vsynch gives a "sluggish" feel.....

lcdguy July 17, 2009 11:26 AM

well i checked and bioshock had V-synch enabled. i forgot to disable it. Also i find when there are flicker lighting like when using the pwoer gell on the chemical thrower there are lots of lines and it's not very uniform. I will try disabling v-synch. Also i believe the refresh rate is set to 60hz i will try increasing it to see if that helps. As for FPS it runs rather smooth. I want to get this solved first before i invest in another video card for CF.

rjbarker July 17, 2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

. I want to get this solved first before i invest in another video card for CF.
To be quite honest, ....no offense....but your trying to run a DX10 game (granted not too demanding) with all Max eye candy, BUT on a Native res 30" monitor single 4890.....?......That I believe is your issue right their..bound to be anomalies.
2nd Card would likely fix things up for you @ 30"...