Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Asus 4890 Problem

Hey all,

This is not an easy problem, just so you know:

I have my 4890 in my W.C loop, with a full cover koolance block.
I have been trying for days to figure out why I could not get the Voltage tweak software to work.

After many different software trials, (different drivers, versions of the program, different OS) I tried going the hardware route. I took apart my stock cooler, took out the fan, and plugged it into my card (with the fullcover block still attached) and left the fan to hang there.

And what do you know, it works. I am able to use the program and increase the voltage on this puppy. The only problem: the fan is still hanging there, and its loud as hell.

I need to figure out a way to "trick" my card into "thinking" that it has a fan plugged in.

Either a software or hardware/mod solution will do. I will not mess with the bios unless it is the only way to fix it.

the fan has 4 wires in this order: blue (pwm wire), yellow (fan speed sensor), red(power), black(power).

thanks.

Old July 9, 2009, 01:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That's a good question. Although I fail to see why the fan status should have anything to do with it unless it is a fail safe. Do you have a compatible fan (four pin) that does not work that you can test this with? We need to know if it is triggered by RPM's or not. I don't understand why the fail safe would not rather be triggered thermally? Interesting stuff.
Old July 9, 2009, 04:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

I don't have an extra 4-pin fan to test it, but I agree that it is puzzling. A thermal fail-safe would have made more sense.