Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Physx Card (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/19710-physx-card.html)

NightRain July 8, 2009 09:39 AM

Physx Card

I'm not sure if this is the right area, but I'll ask anyway.

Is there any advantage to having a dedicated Physx card? I currently have a great system and I'm wondering if it is worth getting a Physx card or not. I have a PCI slot open between my two 4870 graphics cards and I'm thinking about getting a Physx card to fill it. Check out my signature to see system specs and let me know if you think its a worthwhile purchase.

artistpavel July 8, 2009 09:45 AM

Cryostasis uses a lot of Physx for ice particles, I tried using my PCI nvidia 8400GS as dedicated physx card and haven't seen much improvement, the game still lags like hell when ice breaks.

CMetaphor July 8, 2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artistpavel (Post 219645)
Cryostasis uses a lot of Physx for ice particles, I tried using my PCI nvidia 8400GS as dedicated physx card and haven't seen much improvement, the game still lags like hell when ice breaks.

8400GS is underpowered to be a PhysX card most likely, something like a 9600GT or new/faster would be better suited for it IMHO.

artistpavel July 8, 2009 09:58 AM

I think 8400GS is the biggest card they make for PCI bus, couldn't find anything above.

CMetaphor July 8, 2009 10:00 AM

Oooooooh PCI bus.... well there's your problem :P. Maybe just stick with PhysX on your 275...

rjbarker July 8, 2009 12:49 PM

I'm sure you guys are already aware, but I just installed the latest PhysX Software and it improved gameplay of Cryostasis immensely. Prior to this new PhysX version, I was getting down into the 20's for Frames....now I'm never below 45FPS and get as much as 90 FPS...huge difference.
Still somewhat buggy though...

artistpavel July 8, 2009 01:20 PM

Thanks, I'll try the new drivers. I had 185.85 installed and didn't bother to update.

Supergrover July 8, 2009 01:25 PM

Hmmm , looks at 8800gt sitting on the shelf......

rjbarker July 8, 2009 01:33 PM

Latest nVidia PhysX Software

NVIDIA PhysX System Software

artistpavel July 8, 2009 02:08 PM

There you go:

Version: 9.09.0428
Fixes version number reporting conflict.
Optimized GPU PhysX compatibility and performance in the PC game Cryostasis.
Supports NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on all GeForce 8-series, 9-series and 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory.
Experience GPU PhysX acceleration in many games and demos, some of which are highlighted in PowerPack downloads here.
Runtime upgrade ONLY for AGEIA PhysX processors users. (New installations of AGEIA PhysX processors should install older PhysX system software such as version 8.09.04 prior to installing this update).
Includes the latest PhysX runtimes used in the latest game titles.
Updated PhysX GPU acceleration runtimes, updates include 2.7.1 to 2.7.6, and 2.8.0 to 2.8.1.
Supports control of your GPU PhysX configuration from the NVIDIA display driver control panel. (requires graphics driver v180.00 or later)