Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2009, 12:00 PM
MVP

Default Possible defective video card

Hi everyone, I apologize for my lack of posting for a while but life...threw a curve ball at me and I just haven't been very well for a while. But that's another story and I'm trying to get back on track.

I bought a system back in September of 2008, assembled in mid October. Ever since the very first time I installed a game on this system, I haven't been able to run any games at full at a decent frame rate. I'm always forced to turn down either Anti Aliasing and/or Anisotropic Filtering or else suffer a less than desirable frame rate.

The system specs are:
Q9550 at stock 2.83GHZ
HIS 4870x2
4GB Mushkin RAM...Now G-SKILL
Vista 64bit
Asus P5Q Deluxe board.

A bunch of other problems have made me RMA the board and RAM, so those are 2 brand new components (although I think the RAM is dead again, bought some G-SKILL)
But still, the games do not play at full. Most notably and aggravating is World of Warcraft (I don't play anymore). Any town or city with a lot of detail bogged down my frame rate a ton, and that's with the settings turned down. Other games include Far Cry 2, Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway.
Am I wrong to expect performance out of this machine? The only reason I bought it was so I could play games at full graphics settings and it's really discouraging after all is said and done. I'm just curious as to weather or not I need to RMA the card, I'm in the dark on what the problem is.
I've been trying for months to figure it out (with what time was available) but I just don't know. I've done all the obvious fixes such as drivers, but still nothing.

Thanks for reading,
Brian.

Last edited by Brian; August 1, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old June 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sorry for the stating the obvious... the going into a town in WoW is more based on your internet connect speed than your system. I've seen ancient, crappy machines working in populated areas of WoW with half decent frame rates just because they were on good highspeed internet. Are all the other games experiencing internet issues with online play? or in single player as well? You may want to try out this site to see if what you True internet speed is:
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Post your results.
Old June 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Sorry for the stating the obvious... the going into a town in WoW is more based on your internet connect speed than your system. I've seen ancient, crappy machines working in populated areas of WoW with half decent frame rates just because they were on good highspeed internet. Are all the other games experiencing internet issues with online play? or in single player as well? You may want to try out this site to see if what you True internet speed is:

Post your results.
I find Speedtest is only half as handy as it actually is. The reason i say that is because it does only what you said, test your true internet speed. Not what you typically get. Its like testing something theoretically then using it practically, you never get all that you theoretically should (typically). Also it doesn't ever take into account when certain ISPs do some packet-shaping or limit bandwidth during certain times. Bell/Sympatico is bad in Ontario still, typically limiting download speed to about 20-30 kb/s.

To hop back ontopic (i'll be posting it when i get back from the doctors)
Old June 30, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had a remarkably similar setup, and it flew through any game I could throw at it at 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 with AA and AF maxxed. Are you running the 4870X2 in the topmost slot? Have to removed the drivers completely and tried re-installing them?

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; June 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: matched not maxxed
Old June 30, 2009, 12:51 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
I had a remarkably similar setup, and it flew through any game I could throw at it at 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 with AA and AF maxxed. Are you running the 4870X2 in the topmost slot? Have to removed the drivers completely and tried re-installing them?
I'm running at 1920x1200 as well. The card yes is in the top slot and I've even tried formatting the drive to clean the drivers out completely.

Quote:
To CMetaphor: I'm not specifically talking about highly populated areas in people, but rather objects. I'm not sure how much about the game you know but I'm talking about places like the town Grom Gol and that entire territory. The trees and forests bring my frame rate down, not the amount of people.
To elaborate on that though. The online aspect isn't what's causing the issue, it happens on or offline, single player or multiplayer games.

Here are my speedtest results:
Old June 30, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Catalyst AI enabled?
Old June 30, 2009, 02:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you run some kind of temperature monitor as well to see certain components aren't running hot (for some odd reason). It could also for some reason or another be the PSU has some issues and isn't powering the card properly, have you tried different pci-e connectors to the card? If you have a spare PSU i would recommend trying it wiht the rest of the rig to see if it runs into those same problems, if it does you can at least rule out the PSU. If you have a spare GPU i would also recommend doing what i said with the PSU and see if you get the same poor results.
Old July 6, 2009, 10:48 AM
MVP

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I don't have any "modern" computer hardware such as PCI-e GPUs or power supplies larger than 250w. Nor do I know anyone locally that does.
I suppose the only thing I can try as of now would be trying some other PCI-e connectors to the card, providing they aren't already being used.
I've also had the suggestion made to flash the BIOS on the board, there are 2 or 3 newer versions since the one on the board. I've never messed with that before so you can understand my hesitation without confirmation that that could possible fix the problem.
Other than that I'm at a loss for troubleshooting. It's not run up to snuff since day 1 of the PC being built. I'm very tempted to ditch this and go buy some POS pre-built from a big box store. Haven't had good luck with my first build and it's very discouraging.
Old July 6, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

this is unfortunate that your first build isn't going to well. Have you tried installing xp or the rc of windows 7 ? have you checked your processes to see if something is pinning the system. Also have you checked the bios settings to make sure that the system is reading everything correctly and it's not under clocking your ram or something like that.

Old July 6, 2009, 11:23 AM
MVP

I have the Windows 7 RC downloaded and have been meaning to install it, just haven't had a chance. I'll actually try that after this post. I've been in the BIOS a lot looking at the RAM and trying to overclock it to what the sticks are rated for, 1066 using timings that formerly Mushkin Greg gave me for the board, but they still aren't stable. Even at stock they aren't stable. Thus the G-Skill I have sitting behind me. But yes I've seen that they're running at 800 all the time.
As for processes, nothing out of the ordinary in there, even after a fresh Windows install it's still the same.
All of that is just what I've seen, it's very well possible that I could be missing something I guess. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: To answer, I have used HWmonitor, Realtemp, and Coretemp to monitor temperatures and all are consistent to one another. Also, yes Catalyst AI is enabled.

Last edited by Brian; July 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM.