Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Need some feedback (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/19355-need-some-feedback.html)

Cowboy June 27, 2009 01:15 PM

Need some feedback
 
Cowboy's FS thread!

Ok, so here's my story:

I currently have a 4870 512 and a 4890 1gb. I want to sell either one or the other. I have no intention of keeping both and dealing with CF issues. I recently put my rig back together (minus a case...:blarg: but thats another story) for the first time in a month. I have both the 4870 and the 4890 installed, and in CF. I am showing better performance than 2 4870's in CF and lower performance from 2x4890's in CF in my benchmarks. So it is a middle ground between the 2 configurations.

My original "plan" was to sell my 4870 BEFORE buying a retail 4890 and going on my merry way. Turns out that I found a really sweet deal on a used 4890 from a guy on [H] and I had a potential buyer for my 4870 simultaneously. So I took a risk and bought the card, while waiting for the sale of my 4870 to finalize (not the best idea... as apparent from my problems).

The Problem:

What do I do? Keep in mind that I have an 850w Corsair PSU than CAN use both cards, and that I would prefer to only have 1 card.

Further details:

I have both of these cards on water along with my northbridge (modded a block with my dremel) and my CPU (PHII 940BE). I am using a mcw60 on the 4870 (which is the primary card) and a koolance fullcover on the 4890 (secondary card). I needed to do it this way because I have an mATX mobo and I'm running a wireless PCI card in the very bottom slot.

Swiftech gtz for the cpu, 2x black ice gt 120mm rads, 1x swiftech mcr220 2x120mm rad, mcp355 w. xspc top.

I really need advice on this from other people because my thinking is clouded by my WANTS and not my needs. Thanks.

swing84 June 27, 2009 03:27 PM

I am not quite sure what question that you want answered because you gave a lot of information.

You stated that you want only one card, in that case I would keep the 4890.

If you meant that you want two of only one kind of card, 4870 or 4890, I would still go with the 4890.

I am a little concerned that a CF using a 4870/4890 combo was faster than two 4890s. I would install only the 4890 that you purchased online and benchmark it, check temps, and use CCC or another program to verify core and memory speeds.

I would then take that video card out and install the other 4890 and perform the same tests and checks.

After verifying the speed and temps of both 4890s I would look for differences because it seems as though one of the 4890s is slowing down to match the speed of the other 4890. Even if one or both PCIe slots slowed to 8x when in crossfire, the same would happen with the 4870/4890 crossfire.

Without any further information I would suspect the 4890 that you purchased online.

Cowboy June 27, 2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing84 (Post 214895)
I am not quite sure what question that you want answered because you gave a lot of information.

You stated that you want only one card, in that case I would keep the 4890.

If you meant that you want two of only one kind of card, 4870 or 4890, I would still go with the 4890.

I am a little concerned that a CF using a 4870/4890 combo was faster than two 4890s. I would install only the 4890 that you purchased online and benchmark it, check temps, and use CCC or another program to verify core and memory speeds.

I would then take that video card out and install the other 4890 and perform the same tests and checks.

After verifying the speed and temps of both 4890s I would look for differences because it seems as though one of the 4890s is slowing down to match the speed of the other 4890. Even if one or both PCIe slots slowed to 8x when in crossfire, the same would happen with the 4870/4890 crossfire.

Without any further information I would suspect the 4890 that you purchased online.

I only have 1 4890 and 1 4870. My CF setup lies between a 4870 CF setup and a 4890 CF setup.

I think I'll just list both cards and see what I can get from them.

SneakySnake June 27, 2009 04:45 PM

So money is the problem?

If so I would just list one card for the moment, and a second later if the cash is really getting strained

ripken204 June 27, 2009 04:52 PM

definitely keep the 4890, then pick another up in a month when prices drop more.

SneakySnake June 27, 2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripken204 (Post 214914)
definitely keep the 4890, then pick another up in a month when prices drop more.

I believe he already has a 2nd one on the way

Silvgearx June 27, 2009 06:35 PM

feedback eh,

on your F/S thread it says pending so i guess its all sorted out :haha:

aviduser June 27, 2009 06:48 PM

I have just about the same system as you. If your monitor is 24" or under crossfire isn't really all that necessary. I know what you mean about crossfire issues, its the reason I went to a nvidia card. Its too bad with an amd processor there's not any boards that support sli and overclocking very well.

I just learned to deal with the fact that my psu is overkill, but it doesn't really hurt anything.

Cowboy June 27, 2009 07:05 PM

Ok thanks all for the input. My posting of this thread accomplished 2 things:

1. I got more interest in my FS thread (totally unintentional)

2. I got piece of mind. If the deal goes through I think I will be keeping the 4890 I have since I'm running on a 22" monitor (samsung 2253bw or something)

I really appreciate the time taken by everyone to read my post and try to help me out. I know it must have been hard to go through and there was a lot of information, I just wanted to make sure I gave the whole story. A full perspective, if you will, into what I've been dealing with.

My main issue was that I had 2 cards because of a deal that went south, and after meddling with CF a little bit (and doing extensive analysis into the benefits/cost) I knew I needed to sell one of them; I had my 4870 up for sale for about a month now with little to no interest for the last 2 weeks. I'm surprised no one suggested I list the 4890 for sale and just stick with the 4870. Maybe it is still a viable option? Thoughts?

oh and P.S. Money is always [at least a little bit of] a problem


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 PM.