Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2009, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Post Sapphire Toxic Atomic Availability - Alternate Suggestions?

I'm in the process of building a new system and have searched for the Sapphire Atomic as well as the Toxic brand cards with no luck. Does anyone have any information on availability of these products?? After reading the 4890 review here, the cooling solution that Sapphire uses, sold me on purchasing the card. Gaming performance and the external venting of heat from the case was one of the selling points but the lower decible level was the clincher. I want to stick with the AMD/ATI brand as I have chosen the socket AM3 platform for my system. I will be using an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU. The Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P Socket AM3 AMD 790FX supports crossfire but does not support Sli. My other option I am considering is the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 4870X2 aftermarket cooler but I'm guessing the warrenty will be voided on the 4870X2. How noisy are the other 4890 models?? Anyone with a 4890 card have any comments or feedback? I certainly don't want to be sitting beside a vacuum cleaner while gaming. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. FYI I am currently using a 22" LG W2252TQ monitor but may upgrade to a 24" next year. I am looking to game with as much eye candy as possible and don't plan on upgrading for a few years after this build. I will be purchasing ARMA II when it comes out to play on this system as well as the next COD game and other FPS games.

Last edited by RBA; June 23, 2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Forgot CPU info
Old July 8, 2009, 02:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'll second a request for sources. I'm stuck working out of town and there isn't many parts retailers in Hardisty or Oyen, AB at the moment lol.

An online retailer would be just fantastic. Or even a place where I could order one by phone.
Old July 9, 2009, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

Changing the cooler on your video card will technically void the warranty from most companies, but it is very hard to prove that you removed the heatsink. Simply keep the original heatsink so that you can put it back on for RMA purposes.

The only difference between Radeon 4890 cards sold are the coolers (if they're non reference) and the GPU voltage. You can change the voltages yourself, so if you have any plans on replacing the cooler, your best option is to buy the least expensive 4890 on the market.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sapphire cards are VERY rare, here in aus theres only about 3 retailers who officially sell them :S Good luck in your quest finding one, lets just pray availability increases as people discover how efficient they are :)
Old July 10, 2009, 05:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Unhappy Sapphire VaporX Toxic 4890 or Atomic

Quote:
Actually, I don't know around there but Here in Canada the Sapphire VaporX Toxic is priced in-line with many other HD4890 cards.
Hello SKY, WHERE in Canada can I purchase this card???? This is like vapourware. Are there no cards available due to limited stock of these cards, or is the demand so high for them that they are difficult to find.
Old July 10, 2009, 05:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBA View Post
Hello SKY, WHERE in Canada can I purchase this card???? This is like vapourware. Are there no cards available due to limited stock of these cards, or is the demand so high for them that they are difficult to find.
This is usually what happens in the world of ATI GPUs: around launch date up until a few months afterwards, cards are VERY easy to find. After that, overclocked versions in particular become extremely rare. Case and point: Sapphire's Toxic and Atomic series.
Old July 10, 2009, 06:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ok.... So it looks like I missed the boat on this card for purchasing. Sky, what will ATi/Sapphire be releasing in the next couple of months? It's probably worth the wait to pick up something new and improved thats coming out later this year for gaming.
Old July 10, 2009, 06:37 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I can't discuss what isn't released. However, don't expect any high-end cards (DX9 / 10 performance equivalent of the HD 4890) any time soon. It is looking more and more like ATI will be focusing on the $100 - $125 price segment with their first batch of DX11 cards and then have something to respond when Nvidia releases their monster.
Old July 10, 2009, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

So just what is Nvidia planning on releasing? Are they going to 40nm technology?
Old July 11, 2009, 09:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Argh, it's too bad I can't find an Atomic edition.....

Good things Hardware Canucks had the wicked 275 roundup which made me decide on an EVGA FTW 275 instead :)

Best computer website on the net!