Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2009, 03:01 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Bottleneck - GPU or CPU?

My hardware is listed in my sig.

My question - When it comes to gaming - what is likely limiting my performance?

I cannot max out Command and Conquer 3 like I expected I would be able to with my new card (not counting AA).

Can I test to see what is the limiting factor? I cannot overclock my CPU at the moment or I would try that out (bios is screwed). Currently nothing is overclocked.
Old June 19, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydies View Post
My hardware is listed in my sig.

My question - When it comes to gaming - what is likely limiting my performance?

I cannot max out Command and Conquer 3 like I expected I would be able to with my new card (not counting AA).

Can I test to see what is the limiting factor? I cannot overclock my CPU at the moment or I would try that out (bios is screwed). Currently nothing is overclocked.
Memory isn't helping you as its not even pc2-6400 memory and the fact you only have 2gb.
Processor is a bit limiting so you may want to overclock it to 3.4ghz and you'll notice a big increase.
Old June 19, 2009, 03:12 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

clockspeed is your greatest bottleneck right now. Get a decent CPU cooler and OC.
Old June 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Im suprised you cant max out that game, on my 9800GTX+ with a stock x2 5000+ I had no problems at all maxing that game out o.O id expect that Q6600 to do just fine on it.

I agree with the sudgestions though, more and better ram would help quite a bit on load times and higher unit counts and the increased clock speed would probubly help alot all around, even 3ghz would take most of the bottleneck off of the CPU.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 19, 2009, 04:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

For the CPU Cooler I have an Ultra 120 Extreme. I hope its still decent

I cannot get into my bios. its royally f'd. Like I have to try between 1 and 12 times to get my computer to start. ITs that bad. I am hoping to get a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P in Early July. Some new rame is slated to come with, or follow soon after.

Buy MUSHKIN [996593] Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

Does anyone have a recomendation for software based CPU overclocking?

I can run the game maxed out, but all it takes is a small battle and frame rates drop from 30 to sub 20 :(

On the plus side loading time (for this game) is basically non-existant. 5 sec AT MOST!!! Raptors in Raid 0
Old June 19, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydies View Post
For the CPU Cooler I have an Ultra 120 Extreme. I hope its still decent

I cannot get into my bios. its royally f'd. Like I have to try between 1 and 12 times to get my computer to start. ITs that bad. I am hoping to get a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P in Early July. Some new rame is slated to come with, or follow soon after.

Buy MUSHKIN [996593] Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

Does anyone have a recomendation for software based CPU overclocking?

I can run the game maxed out, but all it takes is a small battle and frame rates drop from 30 to sub 20 :(

On the plus side loading time (for this game) is basically non-existant. 5 sec AT MOST!!! Raptors in Raid 0
Ram:
NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ In Canada.

No there is no good software for overclocking your bios.

If your bios is that messed up perhaps try updating it?
Old June 19, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Either the Gskill or the mushkin are both nice kits. TBH I am surprized at the FPS, my 8750 and 8800GT min FPS were 28, maxed out.

The only even half decent OC software would be AMD's Overdrive but that isnt going to help you since your on Intel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 19, 2009, 04:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the input everyone :)

I have tried reflashing my bios. It says it completes, but it does not actually "take" :( I have tried time and time again, from within bios (I can get in once in a blue moon but it does not like to save the changes I make). and I have flashed from windows with various bios versions - all to no avail. I got tired of RMAing my mobo (4 times at 1 month each). I decided to TRY and never shut off my computer - as it runs perfectly after it finally boots up.
Old June 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Im suprised you cant max out that game, on my 9800GTX+ with a stock x2 5000+ I had no problems at all maxing that game out o.O id expect that Q6600 to do just fine on it.
Its an E6600. Dual, not quad core.

To the OP: Your sig doesnt say if you're running XP or Vista. If its vista, upgrade to 4gigs of ram.

Either way, to be honest, I would try overclocking the snot out of your E6600. It'll help. A 120extreme should be able to take that thing to 3-3.3ghz give or take. While you`re doing this, you may as well OC your ram too, and see what you can do with your current hardware.

Or, pick up a newer (used) S775 and drop it in, with some new ram. 9800gtx's are beasts. That and you`ll have enough hardware left over to almost build a 2nd pc
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 19, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

your gonna need to pump quite a bit of cpu volts to overclock in that motherboard, most nvidia chipset are know to have huge vdroops.

you should be fine if you can get it to 3.0ghz with 1.4V on that board