Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2009, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default question about physx

now that im using windows 7 and am noticing some problems when running games with physx on my 4870x2 how would a 8800gt fair as a dedicated physx card.
Old June 6, 2009, 12:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well thanks to the folks here on HWC I'm now an official unofficial expert on the matter,lol. Your having problems with your physx games because ATI doesn't support physx, but judging from your comment you already knew that. So I would say that whatever problem your having is probably Windows 7 related. Win7 may not have full support for the physx software. For the second part of your question I'm pretty sure you can't run a Nvidia card and and ATI card at the same time regardless of what you plan to do with the 8800. You can however still buy stand alone physx cards from ASUS and BFG, and that would enable you to use your 4870 with physx support.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old June 6, 2009, 01:03 AM
Allstar

you actually CAN use a nvidia card as physx for an ATI vga. although i believe this is limited to vista(dunno if its compatible with win7). theres some settings you have to tinker with; someone more knowledgable can hepl you with that
Old June 6, 2009, 01:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i stumbeld upon this befor my question and forgot to add it so here it is ATI + Nvidia for physx? YES! - [H]ard|Forum
this is what made me think of this while im trying to figure out what to do with the card after i get it back.
Old June 13, 2009, 02:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I"ve been doing some reading on this but it might as well been written in Klingon. Will a single 4890 gpu plus a pci nvidia gpu(not pci-e) work for physics or do I need to crossfire + Nv gpu to work. This is on a maximas 2 formula. What is involved in the set-up if it"s possible? (drivers etc)
Old June 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Vista does not allow for 2 different video drivers to be installed, you will either need to use win7 (which doesnt work..) or windows xp.

physx doesn't really improve your performance per se... but it does little things to make the effects more realistic looking. In all, I don't think its worth the cost of another gpu... just for physx.

Old June 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

So in the real world its just a bonus if you have monies to buy said bonus for little in return....