Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2009, 05:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Calling everyone with an HIS HD 4890! Need your help!

If there is anyone out there with a HIS HD 4890 Turbo or even a Stock card, I need your help.

First of all, download and install GPU-Z.

Open the program and take a note of the Core and Memory speeds.

Under BIOS Version, please note the number there.

In a post in this thread, write the following:

- Which kind of HIS card you have (Turbo or Stock)

- BIOS version

- Clocks

Thanks in advance!!!

Well, I spilled the beans a bit further down in the thread but for all of you who are reading the first post I will put everything down in a bit more straightforward manner. To begin with, I won't name names of the retailers I bought these cards from since they don't hold any blame.

Some of you know that I am in the process of doing a HD 4890 Roundup. The response from manufacturers has for the most part been extremely positive. However, I wanted to give you guys the best possible cross-section of the HD 4890 marketplace so I set aside money to purchase some cards in case I didn't receive the samples I was hoping to.

As such, I ended up buying a HIS Turbo and XFX XT Edition. The XFX ran at its pre-overclocked speeds but I unfortunately left the HIS Turbo as the last card to benchmark.

The HIS Turbo is supposed to be clocked at 900Mhz core and 1Ghz (4Ghz effective) on the memory. My card booted at 850 / 975 (3.9Ghz) which are STOCK SPEEDS. I checked the box, sure enough the model number was H489FT1GP and it was completely sealed so that ruled out insanity on my part and tampering. After a bit of trouble-shooting, I settled on the fact that my card was simply a bad apple which had been flashed with the incorrect BIOS. Every manufacturer has some of these, no matter how careful they are.

So, I called a buddy of mine who works at a Canadian retailer to see if they had one in stock that I could buy and have express shipped to me. They had one Turbo model left but before he shipped it out, I had him test it. Result? Another HIS HD 4890 Turbo with stock speeds.

Something was wrong here. Two cards from two different retailers, each with incorrect clocks. My luck couldn't have been that bad.

Since we don't have a media contact with HIS, early last week I decided to go through their website for answers like a normal consumer would do. After receiving no responses, yesterday I popped by a few local computer stores and bought 3 more HIS Turbo Edition cards; two from one shop and one from another.

Of those, one of the first two had the correct clocks but the others did not. That makes 4 of 5 cards having the stock clocks even though they were labeled as and had the prices of overclocked cards.

After filling out the contact form no fewer than 3 times within the last week without a response, this thread went up.

I pushed back the roundup for the better part of a week waiting for HIS' response and I figured enough is enough. You guys have a right to know what is going on here in case you were considering one of these cards.

Luckily, after buying over $1000 of HIS graphics cards, they can all be returned. The only way this really affects the roundup is that due to upcoming review timelines, the overclocking section for the HIS card will not be done.

UPDATE #1: Sent another message through the HIS North America site last night (that makes 4 over the last 7 days). Still no response.

Last edited by SKYMTL; June 2, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have the stock Sapphire version of this card. What seems to be the problem? I did notice that when GPU-Z loads the clock on my card goes from 240Mhz to 850Mhz for a brief moment then that's what GPU-Z reports as the core frequency even after the clocks settle back down to 240MHz.
Old June 1, 2009, 06:00 PM

Call it a suspicion that won't be borne out until people begin reporting in. ;)
Old June 1, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't think I like where this is going.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:46 PM

No, you probably won't. Neither will HIS but I would love to get some more feedback.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok, whew! That's good to hear!

Edit: I must have been sleeping when I posted the above. I read that as 'No, you won't' as in be disappointing. Heh.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; June 2, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's sound wierd to meI hope we will know soon what your suspicion are. Good work again SKYMTL you always keep up to the light when needed;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 1, 2009, 08:17 PM

All right, I'll spill the beans since I would rather bring this up rather than you guys going out and buying one.

For the HD 4890 roundup I bought a HIS HD 4890 Turbo.

Booted it up.

It was clocked at stock speed.

Not satisfied, I had one of my contacts at a store test one from his stock.

Once again, stock speeds on a Turbo model.

Still not satisfied, I scoured Montreal retailers today for HIS HD 4890 Turbo cards.

I bought three.

Two turned out to be stock speed and one was actually the right clock speeds.

Luckily, they can all be returned but I can tell you right now, I spent over $1000 on cards and I'm not too happy right now.

So, 5 cards from 4 different retailers and only ONE was clocked at the proper speed. Sorry to spill the beans but. you guys have a right to know.
Old June 1, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Damn HIS.. that is NOT cool.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old June 1, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow. What were the speeds and what were they supposed to be?? This is not good at all. I came this close (picture my fingers pinched together) to buying a HIS model.