Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2009, 12:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Flashing GTX 275 with FTW bios

From what I understand, the hardware is identical, so replacing the bios should be safe, if warranty is not one's concern.

This is what I collected so far:

- Nvidia BIOS Modification Guide v1.0 :
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...s-modification
Nvidia BIOS flashing - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

- EGVA GTX 275 bios download list:
techPowerUp! :: Video Bios Collection

- latest nvFlash v5.72:
ReMOSitory :: mvk.tech :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 285 275 260 ATI Radeon HD 4890 4870 4850 4830 :: MVKTech :: On the Edge of Technology

Problems:

- nvFlash requires DOS environment. Boot CDs found on these sites don't have SATA CD\DVD drive drivers:
Windows 98 Boot Disk Download | AllBootDisks - Providing Free Boot Disks from MS-DOS to Windows XP.
Bootdisk.Com

- my mobo doesn't support booting from USB

- I haven't seen floppy in 10 years

- there's a windows based nvFlash, but it's for 32bit windows only:
Using nvFlash - SLI Zone Forums

Basically looking for a bootable DVD with nvFlash that will work with my hardware.

Last edited by artistpavel; June 21, 2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Use something like the ultimate boot cd to boot to a 32bit windows environment. UBCD for Windows

You can still access your hard drive and run a windows based nvflash from there.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistpavel View Post
From what I understand, the hardware is identical, so replacing the bios should be safe, if warranty is not one's concern.

This is what I collected so far:

- Nvidia BIOS Modification Guide v1.0 :
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...s-modification

- EGVA GTX 275 bios download list:
techPowerUp! :: Video Bios Collection

- latest nvFlash v5.72:
ReMOSitory :: mvk.tech :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 285 275 260 ATI Radeon HD 4890 4870 4850 4830 :: MVKTech :: On the Edge of Technology

Problems:

- nvFlash requires DOS environment. Boot CDs found on these sites don't have SATA CD\DVD drive drivers:
Windows 98 Boot Disk Download | AllBootDisks - Providing Free Boot Disks from MS-DOS to Windows XP.
Bootdisk.Com

- my mobo doesn't support booting from USB

- I haven't seen floppy in 10 years

- there's a windows based nvFlash, but it's for 32bit windows only:
Using nvFlash - SLI Zone Forums

Basically looking for a bootable DVD with nvFlash that will work with my hardware.
Really? The P5Q doesnt support USB booting? Are you 100% certain on this?

p5q didn't boot from usb
This also says you should be able to USB boot...I found another 3 to 4 results on Google stating it can be done too. Check your bios!

The other option would probably be to try something like a BartPE cd with nvFlash integrated, since its a winXP environment. You can google to find anything regarding this better then I could explain. But before doing that, I would confirm 100% that you cant boot from USB.

As for the flash. It works just fine. Mine is flashed FTW. You've done your research, so get that USB boot working, and get to 'er!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 29, 2009, 02:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've never done it, but can't a person run two cards in order to flash one from within windows? I've always got some old PCI cards kicking around for these kinds of things.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 29, 2009, 03:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is my board, the manual doesn't say anything about USB boot, and most Google articles point to other models from P5Q series, I see 'Removable Device' in the option, not sure what they mean by that, maybe I'm preparing the USB wrong:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

it looks like using UBCD requires more knowledge, than I have, it needs to be created by user using XP disk.
I'm gonna install Windows7 RC1 now and see if their native virtual XP mode works.
using PCI card won't help because I need 32 bit XP to run nvFlash from Windows.
Old May 29, 2009, 03:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The removable device they mean is the USB key. Set that to boot first, make a bootable USB like on the sticky posted on these forums, and you are set.
Old May 29, 2009, 03:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes, I set to be the first priority, since then I made bootable USBs 2 or 3 times, but they never boot, I'll try again.
Old May 29, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, as said. "Removable device" is what you want.

Steps to creating a USB DOS disk are as follows:

1) Make the USB stick bootable (google programs out there for this. The most common is a HP exe program that floats around)
2) Format the stick to boot to DOS (You'll need win98 dos files for this, again, google it or supply your own from the back of your closet...atleast if you're at my house anyways )
3) ???
4) Profit! (no really you're done)
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 29, 2009, 04:52 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Everytime I've flashed a GPU BIOS with new speeds, I always made sure that the card was stable at those speeds. Remember that for factory oc'ed cards, binning of the chips was done, and only the cream of the crop made it on the factory oc'ed PCUs. It does not mean that your chip can handle those speeds.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Everytime I've flashed a GPU BIOS with new speeds, I always made sure that the card was stable at those speeds. Remember that for factory oc'ed cards, binning of the chips was done, and only the cream of the crop made it on the factory oc'ed PCUs. It does not mean that your chip can handle those speeds.
Thanks Charlie it was about time someone mentioned the *risk factor*

Good luck with your bios flash.

EE