Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   4870 Black screen after green window loading bar (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/18052-4870-black-screen-after-green-window-loading-bar.html)

Pokeguylow May 18, 2009 08:33 PM

4870 Black screen after green window loading bar

When I turn my pc on, everything goes fine. but after the windows vista green loading bar, the monitor (HP W22) goes black screens and "no display, monitor going to sleep". I then figured out it is the display problem. I had tried sweeping and reinstalling the driver, but still doesnt work. Im getting really tired at this. I have to boot windows in low resolution mode everytime (sometimes wont work!). I googled for every solutions but wont work. Is ATI ever gonna come up something to fix this? I was a nvidia fan but I decided to give 4870 a shot. So far, Im VERY disappointed.

Help me!

AMD Phenom II x4 940
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
8 GB G.Skill PK DDR2-1066
Corsair 650W
Sapphire 4870 1gb
Windows Vista 64-bit
HP W22 monitor

Realityshift May 18, 2009 08:59 PM

Is your card overclocked at all? deffinetly sounds like a problem initiating drivers, or possibly heat/power troubles. Since your running a corsair 650w im guessing its not power. If its a new card it really shouldnt be heat...

Also are you overclocking your x4 940? are your PCI-E lanes locked at 100, I havent dealt with overclocking those things...

Do you have the right power cables connected to the card? is the card locked into place properly?

Pokeguylow May 18, 2009 09:03 PM

i dont overclock. And i dont think its the problem with the video card, cuz its a common problem.

AMD Game Forums - HD 4870 Vista black screen / no monitor signal after install

Realityshift May 18, 2009 09:09 PM

Thats a REALLY old problem from the date of the original post, thats almost a year ago. What drivers do you have installed right now? the ones from the disk or the newest ones from ATI? I know 3 people with 4870s that run fine on vista 32bit as well as vista 64bit, maybe its just the driver version?

Pokeguylow May 18, 2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realityshift (Post 197102)
Thats a REALLY old problem from the date of the original post, thats almost a year ago. What drivers do you have installed right now? the ones from the disk or the newest ones from ATI? I know 3 people with 4870s that run fine on vista 32bit as well as vista 64bit, maybe its just the driver version?

I have the newest version 9.5. i tried 9.4 too but same.

rjbarker May 18, 2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

I was a nvidia fan but I decided to give 4870 a shot. So far, Im VERY disappointed.
Does this mean you previously had an Nvidia Card installed on this same Rig...and are now going to ATI on this same rig?...If so..did you do a "complete" uninstall of old Nvidia Drivers, as in 'uininstall" and run Driver Cleaner prior to installing ATI Drivers?

Pokeguylow May 18, 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 197106)
Does this mean you previously had an Nvidia Card installed on this same Rig...and are now going to ATI on this same rig?...If so..did you do a "complete" uninstall of old Nvidia Drivers, as in 'uininstall" and run Driver Cleaner prior to installing ATI Drivers?

nope, this is a brand new rig.

btw, seems like i have some nvidia chipset driver, does that matter?

Realityshift May 18, 2009 09:22 PM

Try calling the cards tech support to see what they sudgest? Doesnt really sound like a card problem as it works in low rez but maybe they can direct you at working drivers or something.

Like I said I know a few people with 4870s that arent having any problems with drivers, but they all run the newest driver sets as soon as they come out. Sure your running the drivers for your os, not xp drivers for vista? I doubt that makes a difference but im running out of ideas :p

Pokeguylow May 18, 2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realityshift (Post 197109)
Try calling the cards tech support to see what they sudgest? Doesnt really sound like a card problem as it works in low rez but maybe they can direct you at working drivers or something.

Like I said I know a few people with 4870s that arent having any problems with drivers, but they all run the newest driver sets as soon as they come out. Sure your running the drivers for your os, not xp drivers for vista? I doubt that makes a difference but im running out of ideas :p

:sad:i hate ati

Realityshift May 18, 2009 09:28 PM

Its pretty well why I stay away from ATI these days, ive had to many issues with their drivers, and the temps under their stock heatsinks >.<, Since ive gone nvidia I highly doubt ill go back. The warrantys on this side are enough for me to stay, let alone driver support and customer support.