Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2009, 03:00 AM
Top Prospect

Default Overclocked for the first time.. need some advice

I would like to know, what is a safe temperature that the gpu can be run at?

I have a GTX 275 SuperCharged, its defualt specs are as follows:

Core clock: 648
Shader Clock: 1458
Memory Clock : 1188

Idle GPU temp : 50-53c
Idle PCB Temps: 40-43c
Load GPU Temp Fan speed 40%: 62c

I decided to overclock it today, i pushed it up a bit to:

Core Clock: 713
Shader Clock : 1600
Memory Clock: 1242

Idle GPU temp : 50-53c
Idle PCB Temps: 40-43c
Load GPU Temp Fan speed 40%: 71c
Load GPU Temp Fan speed 100%: 65c

This is with testing Mirrors edge, at 1600 by 1200, highest settings, and x4AA. I played it for an hour with these settings, and it stayed pretty solid at those temps.

I would like to know, how would i know if an overclock im doing is giving me an error, i dont plan on pumping any more power into the card, it doesnt really seem as though i need too.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Your overclock should be alright where it is, but normally when you load the videocard up if the overclock is failing you will see colored or black marks that we call artifacts apearing in the graphics, the shapes are pretty random, sometimes trianlges or lines but youll deffinetly notice them. Either that or the card itself will just error out of games or shut down as well.

Your temps look pretty good though, and I doubt youll see much trouble with that overclock, you could download furmark and run that to really test what kind of heat your card will put out at max load though.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Your overclock should be alright where it is, but normally when you load the videocard up if the overclock is failing you will see colored or black marks that we call artifacts apearing in the graphics, the shapes are pretty random, sometimes trianlges or lines but youll deffinetly notice them. Either that or the card itself will just error out of games or shut down as well.

Your temps look pretty good though, and I doubt youll see much trouble with that overclock, you could download furmark and run that to really test what kind of heat your card will put out at max load though.

is that free? I thought you had to pay for that.

Also, sometimes when i am watching movies i notice that my computer will freeze for a second or two, while the sound still plays. I can move the mouse still, , but everything else will freeze. I cant figure out if it is the cpu or the gpu, or what causes it. Its not a serious issue, happens like once in a while, but enough for me to notice something is wrong, even if it is something small.

Anyone know?

Last edited by MrFoxx; May 17, 2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nope, it's free. As for the hitching, I'm not sure. Try disabling any background apps. Use task manager to see if there is anything (not system stuff) using massive amounts of ram or CPU cycles if so kill it then try again.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

GPUs can run up to 100C, but most of us say 70C is the limit.

As IRQ said, use FurMark to test your GPU for any artifacts. You could also use it to find the load temperaturs. OCCT has a video card stress test as well, and there's a new program out called MemTestG80 which tests NVIDIA CUDA GPUs for memory errors, just like MemTest.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:00 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I like atitool for artifact checking as well, though I'm not particularly fond of using it for my actual OCing or fan control.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

run a 30 minute session of Crysis...then report back with "load temps" Fan @ 40%........I can guarantee you'll be seeing a lot more than 65c......manually set your fan speed at 80% for intense gaming sessions with your OC...back it off to 50 - 60% idle...its summer!!!

Old May 17, 2009, 05:21 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty darn good numbers. I wonder how much stress is actually done to the GPUs. My folding farm uses the same GPUs, and under load, fan @ 60% the temps are ~75C.

Have you tried folding using the GPU client? I'd like to know what numbers you come up with.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:38 PM
Top Prospect

Those tempuratures are fine man, no worries.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:39 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
run a 30 minute session of Crysis...then report back with "load temps" Fan @ 40%........I can guarantee you'll be seeing a lot more than 65c......manually set your fan speed at 80% for intense gaming sessions with your OC...back it off to 50 - 60% idle...its summer!!!

crysis isnt a valid test for me, i thinkt he game is trash, as such id never play it, i tested mirriors edge because its a game i actually play.

I used that occt to test and it brought the temps up to 75c, and 91c on auto fan, which just says autofan is kind of unreliable.