Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2009, 08:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Disassembling a video card

I could use some advice and guidance with a small video card related heat issue I'm having with a new GTX 260. This is exactly the same as one I've owned for four months now and both overclock in spectacular fashion. With the exception of 10-15C heat difference that the new card gives me on the exact same Folding projects, as well I've swapped cards and ran the new card through Vantage 3 times and have been gaming and have noticed this new card always runs 10-15C hotter than my old one doing the same tasks.

So I'm thinking maybe I need to crack this card open and reapply TIM to the contacts or something but I'm having a helluva time finding guides on proper Video card Tim applications ect. If anyone has a link they'd like to share with me or an experienced water cooling person would give me some tips that would be great. BTW both my cards are XFX so I won't lose any warranty cracking it open. I have 3 types of TIM (IC7, MX-2, and OCZ Freeze), also my card has a fullcover metal backplate which I think is also adheared to something back there. Anyways I'm sure it's pretty easy but I like to be prepared and cautious when handling hardware and have never cracked a card apart before. I might even need some new thermal pads or something...I dunno.

Tia. :help:
Old May 9, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're correct. Its fairly simple. Undo the screws, remove them, and carefully pry the heatsink off.

You shouldnt need to remove the backplate from the card. Apply TIM (via whatever method you wish, I use the single 'blob' in the middle way), press heatsink back down, reinsert screws, tighten, and voila! Complete!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 9, 2009, 09:35 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I'm in the same boat as you Always. My GTX 285s are getting fer too warm for my liking.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 9, 2009, 09:50 AM
Rookie

i've read that term several times during my search for a new card, what does "folding" mean?
Old May 9, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Folding@home - FAQ
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old May 9, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Apply a little poop of MX-2. Disassemble a video card is ( for me i think ) way easyer compare to set up an entire pc. Remove screw and get everything off like removing a CPU cooler on a backplate well. then use the way you want to apply this smoochie thermal cream miam and stick the cooler where it belong. If nothing do then get a water cooling loop or ( has I recomend ) go see with Arctic Cooling what they haev for GTX 260.
Arctic Cooling

Arctic Cooling

This cooler is pretty imprssive, have already mount many on card and wow result are amazing for the buck.

Ask for more if ever needed.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 9, 2009, 10:04 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You need to double check that you have proper contact. I noticed when I took my 260 apart for watercooling that there is a clearance allowance for the thickness of the factory goop they put on, meaning without this layer the heatsink does not have proper contact with the core. So you need thick thermal compound, the diamond ic stuff we demoed would be ideal.