Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   GeForce GTS 250 Roundup Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/17697-geforce-gts-250-roundup-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL May 7, 2009 08:41 PM

GeForce GTS 250 Roundup Comment Thread

Another week and another GPU review....wait, hold on. This time it is four separate GPU reviews all rolled into one!

Before today, we hadn't looked at any GTS 250 cards due to the fact that we were waiting to see which direction the lineup took. Now that cards have begun going on sale for some amazing prices, we figured that the time was right to take a look at a few competing solutions.

Up today: EVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS and for the first time here at HWC: Sparkle.

I also invite everyone to check out the two pages of warranty and RMA support information we have in this roundup. It should help many of you make an informed decision.

You can find the review here:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...rkle-evga.html

Please use this thread to post all of your questions and comments.

Enjoy!!!

:canadianwave:

Silvgearx May 7, 2009 09:49 PM

Those custom coolers look great :thumb: and the asus and gigabyte version does excellent in cooling :punk:

But kinda misleading with your eVGA GTS 250's warranty as compared to what it says in the official eVGA site :ph34r:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5508/66235932.jpg

I know not many people keep there GPUs for more than a year. But its good to differentiate if it has lifetime or the 2 year like it said on the site.

I enjoyed reading your reviews as always :thumb:

mascotzel May 8, 2009 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX (Post 191523)
Those custom coolers look great :thumb: and the asus and gigabyte version does excellent in cooling :punk:

But kinda misleading with your eVGA GTS 250's warranty as compared to what it says in the official eVGA site :ph34r:

actually ,the review has two pages covering warranty of the cards(that' a lot of info,that you don't find in many reviews)...and it says what you missed to read

very nice review
the Gigabyte board was the most expensive in my country at launch,but now it's one of the cheapest
too bad for their all-round stupid policy about 2 wire non-controlable GPU coolers

Dr_BenD_over May 8, 2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Remember this throughout the roundup: even though Gigabyte markets this card as being overclocked, it runs at stock speeds.

Marketing at it's best/worst

nckid4u May 8, 2009 04:35 AM

I have an XFX gts250 and another one on the way. Cannot wait to sli them and see where they land in the performance realm. I love getting the lower end cards and trying multi card stuff to see how they perform. I had a P5Q Pro board before I switched to the 680i and xfired a pair of 4830s. They rocked the party. At stock speeds they outperformed the 4870 and when overclocked (I had powercolor and they overclocked remarkably well when xfired), they were on par with xfired 4850s at stock speed and blew the 4870 away. I think these will also show impressive results when slied. I will let everybody know when I get the system up and running at full strength. (Also going under water so the rebuild time will be a little longer). I like my gts250 so far. Runs well, folds well, games well for a $120 solution.

sswilson May 8, 2009 05:17 AM

Some pretty decent looking coolers there, even if some of them didn't perform quite as well as I'd like to see.

It's great to see Sparkle trying to make inroads into Canada (Newegg's influence?), and it would be really interesting to see if the high(er) OC clocks you got with their card were just the luck of the draw, or if it can be replicated by end users as these things hit the market.

One of the things (I think I harp on this a lot, but it's important to me.... :) ) I'm curious about is the ability to set custom fan profiles with the manufacturer's software.... I know that the ASUS software allows for setting temp related fan speed profiles on ATI cards, does that functionality follow through with their Nvidia offerings? Do any of the other manufacturers' software have this ability?

Finally.... Wasn't it the EVGA software that allowed for bumping of GPU voltages? Does that work with the GTS250 cards?

Thanks SKYMTL, and as always, great review!!!!

SKYMTL May 8, 2009 05:44 AM

I will confirm with EVGA about this but they stated that their warranty was Lifetime on this one. If it necessitates an edit, I will do so.

Soultribunal May 8, 2009 05:44 AM

For the EVGA Card, I have a GTS 250 myself now, and am Quite pleased with it.

However, any EVGA Part Number ending in TR gets you the 1+1 warranty if registered within the 30day Period.
That is far from Lifetime, Might be a typo, but otherwise another great review.

I personally will always favour a Dualslot config so long as the card dumps the heat out the back.

Thanks again SKY!

ST

Lpfan4ever May 8, 2009 05:45 AM

Very nice review. I want to point out that on the overclocking results page, the picture for the EVGA overclock is wrong, showing the Sparkle one instead.
Other than that, very informative. Sparkle seems to have some oomph if you're gaming on a 1680x1050 screen, especially considering it having half the RAM of the other cards.

SKYMTL May 8, 2009 05:53 AM

Took care of the warranty mentions on the EVGA product since it seems our rep was mistaken. My apologies.

The EVGA overclock picture should now show the correct one as well. Thanks for the heads up guys.