Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 2, 2009, 10:13 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25
Default Signs of bottlenecking?

I suspect that my Athlon X2 3800 CPU is bottlenecking my 9800GTX card because sometimes when i turn my character in games, certain parts of the screen actually don't move. The parts of the screen that don't move kind of form obvious lines with the parts of the screen that move. I don't really know how to explain this...simply put, only certain parts of the screen move when i turn my character in games. I think it is a bottleneck problem because this problem occurs in many of my games. However, is it possible that it is my monitor that is dying?
I am running on 1440 x 900 Resolution at 60Hz refresh rate.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 2, 2009, 10:29 PM
aviduser's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 383
Default

Have you tried overclocking your cpu? Which games are you experiencing lag/fps drops in?
__________________
I5 4670K 4.4ghz - Gtx 780 Amp - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance - MSI z87-g43 - Tx 850w - Asus pbq278q
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 2, 2009, 10:38 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25
Default Well~

I have pretty good Frame rate in most of my games~ this problem occur even when i have 60+ framerates
Like in Fallotu 3 i get 50-60 frame rate per second~ but sometimes this problem occurs
In Battlefield heros, i get 80 - 100 frame rate per second, and i still see certain parts of the screen not moving when my charater turns
In Enemy Terrirotry:Quake Wars~ i get 30framerate, which is the framerate cap, and i still see this problem~~

by the way~ i didn't overclock cuz i am afraid the CPU's life expentancy will be shortened
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 2, 2009, 10:52 PM
aviduser's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 383
Default

Overclocking is pretty safe unless you pump alot of voltage thru it without proper cooling.

Have you tried re-installing the latest drivers for your video card (using driver sweeper to remove the old ones). Being that you are getting high frame rates in games shows your cpu isn't really holding you back.
__________________
I5 4670K 4.4ghz - Gtx 780 Amp - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance - MSI z87-g43 - Tx 850w - Asus pbq278q
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 2, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,500

My System Specs

Default

Your card is definitely bottlenecking with that processor, but whether or not it's the cause of your issue is beyond me. I had the exact same processor at 2.7GHz and upgraded to a C2D @ 3.2GHz. Suffice to say, the difference was astounding, especially in CPU heavy games, such as Source based games. This was with an 8800GTS 640MB.

There was a bottlenecking review done not too long ago, by who I can't remember, and the conclusion was that the bottleneck cutoff point for high-end, single GPU cards was right around the 3.2GHz C2D mark. Anything less and frames started to drop. Anything more and there wasn't much of a difference, if at all, in most of the games tested.
__________________
For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 12:12 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Have you tried re-installing the latest drivers for your video card (using driver sweeper to remove the old ones). Being that you are getting high frame rates in games shows your cpu isn't really holding you back.
I reinstalled my driver and used the driver sweeper. The problem still exist
Quote:
There was a bottlenecking review done not too long ago, by who I can't remember, and the conclusion was that the bottleneck cutoff point for high-end, single GPU cards was right around the 3.2GHz C2D mark. Anything less and frames started to drop. Anything more and there wasn't much of a difference, if at all, in most of the games tested.
OH~
Questions #1 : I 'm thinking of upgradeing to a Phenom 9600 Quad at 2.4GHz or 9700 Quad at 2.6GHz~ would these processor be the same as the C2D @ 3.2Ghz? I know AMD is slower and Phenom isn't that good. But with the M2N-E mobo, Phenom is the best choice i got.

Question #2: Btw...I went to the Nvidia Control Panel, and discovered that my card's bus speed is PCI-E express X16... Since my card is PCI-E 2.0, would the performance drop because it is on a PCI-E 1.0 slot on my M2N-E mobo?

Question #3: Could it be that my monitor is screwed that caused the problems i experience in the games?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,500

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_N View Post
Questions #1 : I 'm thinking of upgradeing to a Phenom 9600 Quad at 2.4GHz or 9700 Quad at 2.6GHz~ would these processor be the same as the C2D @ 3.2Ghz? I know AMD is slower and Phenom isn't that good. But with the M2N-E mobo, Phenom is the best choice i got.
Better than what you have. Your mobo will not support Phenom II?

Quote:
Question #2: Btw...I went to the Nvidia Control Panel, and discovered that my card's bus speed is PCI-E express X16... Since my card is PCI-E 2.0, would the performance drop because it is on a PCI-E 1.0 slot on my M2N-E mobo?
No.

Quote:
Question #3: Could it be that my monitor is screwed that caused the problems i experience in the games?
I have no idea.
__________________
For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 12:23 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Too bad my mobo don't support Phenom II.... but some people with the same mobo has a Phenom II running
So i don't really know if my mobo 100%support Phenom II XD
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 03:21 AM
IRQ Conflict's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drayton Valley, AB
Posts: 1,566

My System Specs

Default

Sounds like screen tearing to me. Enable vsync and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 07:47 AM
Cowboy's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,375
Default

I was about to say, yeah that sounds alot like tearing... the 60+ fps figures is what tipped me off as to what it was. If you were getting say 30 fps in a game that a 9800 gtx Should be getting 60 in, then it would be a bottleneck.

Turn on vsync, see what happens.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BottleNecking? Chromey Video Cards 10 April 6, 2009 05:36 PM
Sundin signs with Canucks Eldonko Hockey 39 March 18, 2009 03:10 PM
Lecavalier signs with Lightning:11years/$85Mil 1Tanker Hockey 5 July 16, 2008 09:03 AM
What do you suppose is bottlenecking this PC? LookAQuesadilla Troubleshooting 14 April 30, 2007 09:16 AM