Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2009, 10:13 PM
Rookie

Default Signs of bottlenecking?

I suspect that my Athlon X2 3800 CPU is bottlenecking my 9800GTX card because sometimes when i turn my character in games, certain parts of the screen actually don't move. The parts of the screen that don't move kind of form obvious lines with the parts of the screen that move. I don't really know how to explain this...simply put, only certain parts of the screen move when i turn my character in games. I think it is a bottleneck problem because this problem occurs in many of my games. However, is it possible that it is my monitor that is dying?
I am running on 1440 x 900 Resolution at 60Hz refresh rate.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:29 PM
MVP

Have you tried overclocking your cpu? Which games are you experiencing lag/fps drops in?
Old May 2, 2009, 10:38 PM
Rookie

Default Well~

I have pretty good Frame rate in most of my games~ this problem occur even when i have 60+ framerates
Like in Fallotu 3 i get 50-60 frame rate per second~ but sometimes this problem occurs
In Battlefield heros, i get 80 - 100 frame rate per second, and i still see certain parts of the screen not moving when my charater turns
In Enemy Terrirotry:Quake Wars~ i get 30framerate, which is the framerate cap, and i still see this problem~~

by the way~ i didn't overclock cuz i am afraid the CPU's life expentancy will be shortened
Old May 2, 2009, 10:52 PM
MVP

Overclocking is pretty safe unless you pump alot of voltage thru it without proper cooling.

Have you tried re-installing the latest drivers for your video card (using driver sweeper to remove the old ones). Being that you are getting high frame rates in games shows your cpu isn't really holding you back.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your card is definitely bottlenecking with that processor, but whether or not it's the cause of your issue is beyond me. I had the exact same processor at 2.7GHz and upgraded to a C2D @ 3.2GHz. Suffice to say, the difference was astounding, especially in CPU heavy games, such as Source based games. This was with an 8800GTS 640MB.

There was a bottlenecking review done not too long ago, by who I can't remember, and the conclusion was that the bottleneck cutoff point for high-end, single GPU cards was right around the 3.2GHz C2D mark. Anything less and frames started to drop. Anything more and there wasn't much of a difference, if at all, in most of the games tested.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Have you tried re-installing the latest drivers for your video card (using driver sweeper to remove the old ones). Being that you are getting high frame rates in games shows your cpu isn't really holding you back.
I reinstalled my driver and used the driver sweeper. The problem still exist
Quote:
There was a bottlenecking review done not too long ago, by who I can't remember, and the conclusion was that the bottleneck cutoff point for high-end, single GPU cards was right around the 3.2GHz C2D mark. Anything less and frames started to drop. Anything more and there wasn't much of a difference, if at all, in most of the games tested.
OH~
Questions #1 : I 'm thinking of upgradeing to a Phenom 9600 Quad at 2.4GHz or 9700 Quad at 2.6GHz~ would these processor be the same as the C2D @ 3.2Ghz? I know AMD is slower and Phenom isn't that good. But with the M2N-E mobo, Phenom is the best choice i got.

Question #2: Btw...I went to the Nvidia Control Panel, and discovered that my card's bus speed is PCI-E express X16... Since my card is PCI-E 2.0, would the performance drop because it is on a PCI-E 1.0 slot on my M2N-E mobo?

Question #3: Could it be that my monitor is screwed that caused the problems i experience in the games?
Old May 3, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_N View Post
Questions #1 : I 'm thinking of upgradeing to a Phenom 9600 Quad at 2.4GHz or 9700 Quad at 2.6GHz~ would these processor be the same as the C2D @ 3.2Ghz? I know AMD is slower and Phenom isn't that good. But with the M2N-E mobo, Phenom is the best choice i got.
Better than what you have. Your mobo will not support Phenom II?

Quote:
Question #2: Btw...I went to the Nvidia Control Panel, and discovered that my card's bus speed is PCI-E express X16... Since my card is PCI-E 2.0, would the performance drop because it is on a PCI-E 1.0 slot on my M2N-E mobo?
No.

Quote:
Question #3: Could it be that my monitor is screwed that caused the problems i experience in the games?
I have no idea.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:23 AM
Rookie

Too bad my mobo don't support Phenom II.... but some people with the same mobo has a Phenom II running
So i don't really know if my mobo 100%support Phenom II XD
Old May 3, 2009, 03:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds like screen tearing to me. Enable vsync and see what happens.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

I was about to say, yeah that sounds alot like tearing... the 60+ fps figures is what tipped me off as to what it was. If you were getting say 30 fps in a game that a 9800 gtx Should be getting 60 in, then it would be a bottleneck.

Turn on vsync, see what happens.