Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2009, 09:53 PM
MVP

Default specs 5870/5870x2 ati

just readin at guru 3d not sure how reliable the info is//but the person who posted this has more than 8000 posts
Old April 30, 2009, 10:06 PM
MVP

I'm going to call salt on that one tentatively, a single card solution having nearly the same GFlops performance of the previous double card...yes...it is possible, but extremely unlikely imo
Old May 1, 2009, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonxx View Post
I'm going to call salt on that one tentatively, a single card solution having nearly the same GFlops performance of the previous double card...yes...it is possible, but extremely unlikely imo
That's the way it went with the 3870 X2--->4870, so I can't see why it wouldn't be the same this time around.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Pretty pointless info considering it leaves out the most important information: ROPs, TMUs and SPs.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:47 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Not to mention the manufacturing process... probably 40nm? We can only hope...
Old May 1, 2009, 09:10 AM
MVP

Here is more on the specs

german site ati-forum probably scored a coup of 2009 - according to their sources, ati's rv870-based cards are already out at selected partners.
We cannot say was this leak was a reaction on our joint-exclusive story about nvidia's gt300 architecture, but one thing is for sure - ati wants to bring out their cypress board as soon as possible - planned for july 2009.

The alleged specifications of rv870 reveal that this chip is not exactly a new architecture, but rather a directx 11-specification tweak of the rv770 gpu architecture. Just like nvidia's gt300 architecture, the actual rv870 chip is manufactured in tsmc's 40nm half-node process, packing more transistors than gt200 chips. Regardless of what ati says about nvidia and large dies, the fact of the matter is that ati is making a large die as well - but the company will continue to use the dual-gpu approach to reach high-end performance.

The rv870 chip should feature 1200 cores, divided into 12 simd groups with 100 cores each [20 "5d" units], while rv770 was based on 10 simd group with 80 cores total [16 "5d" groups consisting out of one "fat" and four simpler ones]. Thus, it is logical to conclude that when it comes to execution cores, not much happened architecturally - ati's engineers increased the number of registers and other demanding architectural tasks in order to comply with shader model 5.0 and directx 11 compute shaders. The core is surrounded with 48 texture memory units, meaning ati is continuing to increase the rop:core:tmu. For the first time, ati is shipping a part with 32 rop [rasterizing operation] units, meaning the chip is able to output 32 pixels in a single clock.

When it comes to products, ati plans to launch four parts: [COLOR=#000080 !important][COLOR=#000080 !important]Radeon[/COLOR][/COLOR] hd 5850 and 5850x2 in more affordable pricing bracket and hd5870 and hd5870x2 for the high-end parts. While there were no clocks for the radeon hd 5850/5850x2 parts, alleged clocks for hd5870 and hd5870x2 reveal that for the first time, an x2 part is clocked higher than a single-gpu part. Was this a requirement of sideport memory [COLOR=#000080 !important][COLOR=#000080 !important]interface[/COLOR][/COLOR], we are not aware atm. German site hardware-infos placed all of the data in a very convenient table, which we are running here with permission. Their story also contains more data about the upcoming ati rv870 architecture.

these units should result in 2.16 tflops for the hd5870 and 4.56 tflops for the dual-gpu part. Yes, you've read correctly - we are going from 1tflops chip to 4.6tflops within 13 months. Is it now clear that cpus are in a standstill when it comes to performance improvements? The biggest question though is - while there is no doubt that ati pulled another miracle out of their hat with a brilliant on-time execution, releasing a 40nm part that will be relatively cheap to manufacture. But - can it beat nvidia's gt300 and by how much?
Old May 1, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I call BS.

Anyways this time I plan not to get fooled and am going to try to wait till the first DX 11 game or first good DX11 game. It will be hard though not to buy one but I have enough performance for now(actually I lie I NEVER have enough performance :p). Pointless buying a DX11 card when nothing can use it and no OS supports it yet if it does come out this summer.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 1, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's going to be hard to get me out of my 4870 i luv the 4800 series the performance is just great. and i think it might be a little early for this so i am think BS maybe.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:52 PM
Top Prospect

Well im not sure, but I heard that new DX11 based ati cards are going to be out this summer... it was mentioned on review site i think techpowerup.. anyway I say its possible..
Old May 1, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't care about the 5800's. As soon as they hit the shelves I'll be picking up another 4890 or X2. When compute shaders become the norm in games and other things I'll consider it. Maybe.

The problem with some of this tech is it never gets implemented, or, if it does it is proven worthless (N-Patch anyone?). I can hear it now, 'just wait till the next gen comes out...yadda yadda...

Remember how long it took Stanford to drop the X1950's from the supported list? I do.

Right now I can play Crysis with full details at 1900x1200 almost comfortably, I'll be able to do so after I go CF again. And that is where I'll stay until another DX 10.1 > DX 9.0c comes along.

Prolly another 2-3 years before anything really exciting comes along.

I still have half a wall of DX 8/9 games I've yet to play.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; May 1, 2009 at 06:04 PM.