Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I don't care about the 5800's. As soon as they hit the shelves I'll be picking up another 4890 or X2. When compute shaders become the norm in games and other things I'll consider it. Maybe.

The problem with some of this tech is it never gets implemented, or, if it does it is proven worthless (N-Patch anyone?). I can hear it now, 'just wait till the next gen comes out...yadda yadda...

Remember how long it took Stanford to drop the X1950's from the supported list? I do.

Right now I can play Crysis with full details at 1900x1200 almost comfortably, I'll be able to do so after I go CF again. And that is where I'll stay until another DX 10.1 > DX 9.0c comes along.

Prolly another 2-3 years before anything really exciting comes along.

I still have half a wall of DX 8/9 games I've yet to play.
I have to agree with this. The 88 series was revolutionary for graphics power vs cost, as was the 4800 series. I dont think we'll see a change like this for a while. Evolution maybe, but not on a scale of what happened from 68/78 to 88 was. Even more so when you figure the -cost- of this gens cards.

Seriously, can you imagine, even on 40nm, what a die thats TWO times the size of this gens is going to cost to manufacture?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about