Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2009, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Help me choose

Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading my current vid card in my gaming rig (8800GT) to something newer. With new cards like the HD4770 being available and affordable (around 120$), I am wondering if I should go with a GTX260 Core 216 or 2 HD4770 in Crossfire.

All my gaming is done at 1680x1050 and am an avid folder (HWC Rules!!!). The old 8800GT would end up in my second rig and keep on foldin'... of course.

What's best?
Old April 30, 2009, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Of course GTX 260 will please you. A problem with SLI or cross fire is that they are not completely used by many game you are going to play so you are going to have single card performance. You'd better to get the same budget on a single card. Your question is better to be between 4870 1GB or GTX 260 216 wich are 2 realy great card with incredible price/perf ratio. Now that the price is pretty the same I can't decide wich one is better for my part I'm using 4870 but I get it when it was 100$ cheaper than a 260 XD. Just get the one you prefer;) now ATI driver are great and rumor tell's that catalyst 9.5 is coming soon ( wow 5 update in 3 months ) I hope this will help you ;)
ask for more if needed.

Martin_metal_88
Old April 30, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wouldn't recommend any ATi card for folding. Buy the fastest nVidia card you can and fold away!
Old April 30, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
A problem with SLI or cross fire is that they are not completely used by many game you are going to play so you are going to have single card performance.
Am I missing something....I posted Benches a long time ago comparing 4 different FPS games with both a single GTX 280 and the results of 2 x GTX 280's......on all fronts the SLI config came out with as much as 15 - 25 FPS increase and that is with no AA / AF.....as these are increased the FPS simply decrease less dramatically. Its obvious that with quite a number of years of experience developing the SLI technology, including Drivers that the quote above although may have a "tad" bit of truth to it, the comment is quite rapidly becoming "old" rather quickly.

Old May 1, 2009, 05:16 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

What about driver support from ATI and CrossFire?

I can't use SLI with my current board so if I go with nVidia, I'm "stuck" with a single card solution.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have found CF to work great in all games save for ETQW. In ETQW I have to disable driver optimizations (Catalyst AI) which nukes the ability to use CF. Some minor glitching in Mass Effect.

Keep in mind my CF experience is with the now 'old' X1950 Pro's. But for the most part I found the drivers quite stable and issue free.