Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
MVP

Default first time with nvidia.... nvidia or ati?

first time with nvidia.... nvidia or ati?

i use x300, x700 pro, x850xt now 8800 gts 512mb

before i chose ati cause picture quality alone but then ati driver seems to cause too much problem with games i play and errors. it also make games dont run when new driver update release but when stilluse old driver... must update then no problem. blah blah.

now then i realize nvidia is superior. most games support nvidia and i heard nvidia got use in space. and most time nvidia cards are alot quieter than ati. ati is just too loud that its annoying. gtx 295 is top of nvdia right now and 4870x2 is top of ati right now but gtx 295 is tons and tons far faster than 4870x2. nvidia is superior.

so i switch side to nvidia. got 8800 gts 512mb. but then i experience too much whiteness! when i play combat arms in the snow place.... some spot are too white! like real whit ethat cant see anything. also two worlds in the lake... sand in the lake are too white. but when i play those with x850xt can still see details.

i also heard that guild wars snow place got this issue as well.... too white that cant see anything. so im guessing its nvidia. also fear in ps3 is wash up visual... and nvidia made ps3's graphic processor. its nvidia.

so now i dont know what side to be on. i got 8800 gts 512mb is jus cause it have a hot asian girl picture on it. was gonna get 9800gx2 the same girl on the picture exept this one show her side boob but too expensive. but also i change of heart that nvidia is superior.

so now.... nvndia cause whiteness.... im not sure if i should go back to ati. this is a legit thread. not to cause flame. jus that i cant decide which side to be on.

if i really cant decide.... ill just go with whichever card got the best picture on it.
Old April 26, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you take a screenshot of these white spots? I'm thinking your card is artifacting. Did you buy it used? It may be overheating.
Old April 27, 2009, 04:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes that's pretty wierd that your card do this white spots. Try to run 3dmark 2006 maybe and see in the last test if there is also white spots in the snow. And for your answer ATI or Nvidia, there is no answer...it's all preference. Now catalyst 9.4 ( ati driver's ) are getting better and better, I pretty like them. But Nvidia get still expensive for their card. If you take the GTX 295 like vs the 4970 X2 soon 4890 X2, price vs perfo ATI is all in the game. If you have bad vent in case Nvidia is good because they run cooler. Well you seee that they have good n bad. Look for the card you prefer and buy it;) because now they are head to head on the run.

Martin_metal_88
Old April 27, 2009, 06:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

*scratches head* That whole post confused the heck out of me. :(
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old April 27, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've read it twice now and I still don't understand Mr. Grunt, infact it makes my head hurt a little.

Where are you from Hohohee?

Quote:
so now i dont know what side to be on. i got 8800 gts 512mb is jus cause it have a hot asian girl picture on it. was gonna get 9800gx2 the same girl on the picture exept this one show her side boob but too expensive.
Its been known to happen, but seriously I hope he didn't buy the card just for the picture of the chic's tits, LMAO.

EE
Old April 27, 2009, 08:46 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Try turning off hdr effects? Sounds like your problem........if i read that right.
Old April 27, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohee View Post
if i really cant decide.... ill just go with whichever card got the best picture on it.
I smell a troll under this bridge...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 27, 2009, 09:14 AM
Top Prospect

I haven't had any issues with ATI, I myself have actually had two nvidia cards die on me :P.. but yeah haven't had any driver related issues with either companies.. I prefer AMD though...
Old April 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
MVP

.....i mean no white spot but white. you know like people say ati cards on guild wars snow area is too white? yeha like that. not spot but the area. i experience the same in combat arms snow place and two worlds the sand near the lake. i will try hdr off and see whats up. but if hdr is the case.... then why didnt ati have same issue when hdr is on? see.... nvndia...... but i dont want to go back to ati. i might buy a second nvidia before going back to ati. probly get 8600 GTS for fun and experience and might GTX 295 if money is on my side.

x700 pro and x850xt really annoy the hell out of me cause of the loud noise. 8800 gts 512mb have lower noise. at first i thought noise is nothing as long as it dont interfere with the performance thats why i went with ati and for picture quality. then rumors say ati driver suck. and i even experience myself. game usually dont work when new driver release while still have old drive.r must update to be fine. some games cant set to max setting or else it coflict with ati driver ect....

i bought the 8800 gts 512mb used from someone. i dont think its defective cause i hear nvndia card cause guild wars snow to be too bright. so i think its just nvidia that cause white area too bright.

and since i never experience modern ati cards.... maybe it improve now? but then i still heard that 4870 is high noise and hot.
Old April 27, 2009, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

1. Can you adjust brightness, gamma or other colour settings in game?
2. Maybe you need to calibrate your monitor? LCD monitor test images

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE