Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 03:42 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,587
Default Trade it up! But what for?

Right now, I am running an...

AMD Phenom 9950 OCed@3.2 GHZ
8Gb GSkill RAM (4-4-4-12)
ASUS Radeon HD4850 (two in CF)
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (Legit :D)

Thats all that is really needed to be known.

Well, I think I am done with CF/SLI. We are heading into the Duel-GPU ara and, ya, CF/SLI look cool, but is it really needed anymore? I dont think so. I mean with cars like the 3750X2, 4850X2, 4870X2, 9800GX2, etc. There is no need for the CF/SLI.

I am thinking of trading my two ASUS 4850's in for $400.00CND and adding $100.00 to buy a new card. ATI have been doing good, but with all honesty, I prefered NVIDIA more.

My question is... What should I get now?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,628
Default

no real point in making a vga switch...gains will be minimal as best. And you won't get $200 a peice for 4850 any more...new cards go for $175 or so now that 4890 is out.

Going from a 9950 to a 940 might be a better path, but then again, the gains are minimal, yet again.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 06:23 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,624

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
no real point in making a vga switch...gains will be minimal as best. And you won't get $200 a peice for 4850 any more...new cards go for $175 or so now that 4890 is out.

Going from a 9950 to a 940 might be a better path, but then again, the gains are minimal, yet again.
+1. Sell your dual 4850 and get a 4870/4890, or if you wanna run F@H, get something of NVIDIA equivalent. You'll be limited to a GTX260/280/295 because I suspect your motherboard will not let you run SLI. What motherboard do you have?

What resolution do you game at?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 06:25 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
+1. Sell your dual 4850 and get a 4870/4890, or if you wanna run F@H, get something of NVIDIA equivalent. You'll be limited to a GTX260/280/295 because I suspect your motherboard will not let you run SLI. What motherboard do you have?

What resolution do you game at?
As told by the manufacturer and self knowladge, I can safely run ONE NVIDIA card. SLI wont work though. I could always sell the 4850, and pay a little extra for a 4870X2. More opinions would be nice. Running at 1680X1050.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 06:33 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,998

My System Specs

Default

@ 1680x1050 your GPU is not limiting you. If anything, sell your 4850s for something slightly newer, like a GTX275, and then spend a little extra to move to a newer/higher processor.
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 06:41 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Right now, I am running an...

AMD Phenom 9950 OCed@3.2 GHZ
8Gb GSkill RAM (4-4-4-12)
ASUS Radeon HD4850 (two in CF)
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (Legit :D)

Thats all that is really needed to be known.

Well, I think I am done with CF/SLI. We are heading into the Duel-GPU ara and, ya, CF/SLI look cool, but is it really needed anymore? I dont think so. I mean with cars like the 3750X2, 4850X2, 4870X2, 9800GX2, etc. There is no need for the CF/SLI.

I am thinking of trading my two ASUS 4850's in for $400.00CND and adding $100.00 to buy a new card. ATI have been doing good, but with all honesty, I prefered NVIDIA more.

My question is... What should I get now?
Where not heading to the dual GPU era by anymeans. Perhaps if you wish to run a 24" monitor or higher with as much settings maxed possible then perhaps.

A single gpu solution and a 22" monitor is very well capable and I know about most people but I prefer playability over the looks.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 07:25 PM
Silvgearx's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,106

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
no real point in making a vga switch...gains will be minimal as best. And you won't get $200 a peice for 4850 any more...new cards go for $175 or so now that 4890 is out.

Going from a 9950 to a 940 might be a better path, but then again, the gains are minimal, yet again.
correction, brand new 4850 can be found for $150
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 07:33 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
correction, brand new 4850 can be found for $150
Thats okay, I was still offered $200 each. Shhhh!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 07:36 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,587
Default

Okay, I am on a 22" Samsung Touch of Color. I run everything at 1680x1050. 2ms respose time - this doesn't mean anything though. Rarely but sometimes I run my PC on my 42" 1080p Aquos. With these settings etc. What should I do?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2009, 07:56 PM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 4,998

My System Specs

Default

Count yer pixels buddy

1680 x 1050 = 1.76 Megapixels
1920 x 1080 = 2.07 Megapixels

Difference? = 0.31 Megapixels... or 310K Pixels... Not a very big different At All. Still not worth going above a single decent GPU OR just keepnig your Xfire 4850s and upgrading your processor.
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WTB] Gotten fyshawk Buy/Sell & Trade 9 May 26, 2010 11:14 AM
Trade deadline Eldonko Hockey 47 March 9, 2009 10:39 AM
Is this a 'trade gone bad'? morphine Off Topic 25 February 5, 2009 03:18 PM
BFG Trade up program? upcoast604 Video Cards 3 October 7, 2008 02:20 PM