Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Trade it up! But what for? (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/17310-trade-up-but-what.html)

AmuseMe April 26, 2009 03:42 PM

Trade it up! But what for?
 
Right now, I am running an...

AMD Phenom 9950 OCed@3.2 GHZ
8Gb GSkill RAM (4-4-4-12)
ASUS Radeon HD4850 (two in CF)
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (Legit :D)

Thats all that is really needed to be known.

Well, I think I am done with CF/SLI. We are heading into the Duel-GPU ara and, ya, CF/SLI look cool, but is it really needed anymore? I dont think so. I mean with cars like the 3750X2, 4850X2, 4870X2, 9800GX2, etc. There is no need for the CF/SLI.

I am thinking of trading my two ASUS 4850's in for $400.00CND and adding $100.00 to buy a new card. ATI have been doing good, but with all honesty, I prefered NVIDIA more.

My question is... What should I get now?

cadaveca April 26, 2009 04:08 PM

no real point in making a vga switch...gains will be minimal as best. And you won't get $200 a peice for 4850 any more...new cards go for $175 or so now that 4890 is out.

Going from a 9950 to a 940 might be a better path, but then again, the gains are minimal, yet again.

geokilla April 26, 2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadaveca (Post 185574)
no real point in making a vga switch...gains will be minimal as best. And you won't get $200 a peice for 4850 any more...new cards go for $175 or so now that 4890 is out.

Going from a 9950 to a 940 might be a better path, but then again, the gains are minimal, yet again.

+1. Sell your dual 4850 and get a 4870/4890, or if you wanna run F@H, get something of NVIDIA equivalent. You'll be limited to a GTX260/280/295 because I suspect your motherboard will not let you run SLI. What motherboard do you have?

What resolution do you game at?

AmuseMe April 26, 2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 185635)
+1. Sell your dual 4850 and get a 4870/4890, or if you wanna run F@H, get something of NVIDIA equivalent. You'll be limited to a GTX260/280/295 because I suspect your motherboard will not let you run SLI. What motherboard do you have?

What resolution do you game at?

As told by the manufacturer and self knowladge, I can safely run ONE NVIDIA card. SLI wont work though. I could always sell the 4850, and pay a little extra for a 4870X2. More opinions would be nice. Running at 1680X1050.

CMetaphor April 26, 2009 06:33 PM

@ 1680x1050 your GPU is not limiting you. If anything, sell your 4850s for something slightly newer, like a GTX275, and then spend a little extra to move to a newer/higher processor.

enaberif April 26, 2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmuseMe (Post 185564)
Right now, I am running an...

AMD Phenom 9950 OCed@3.2 GHZ
8Gb GSkill RAM (4-4-4-12)
ASUS Radeon HD4850 (two in CF)
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit (Legit :D)

Thats all that is really needed to be known.

Well, I think I am done with CF/SLI. We are heading into the Duel-GPU ara and, ya, CF/SLI look cool, but is it really needed anymore? I dont think so. I mean with cars like the 3750X2, 4850X2, 4870X2, 9800GX2, etc. There is no need for the CF/SLI.

I am thinking of trading my two ASUS 4850's in for $400.00CND and adding $100.00 to buy a new card. ATI have been doing good, but with all honesty, I prefered NVIDIA more.

My question is... What should I get now?

Where not heading to the dual GPU era by anymeans. Perhaps if you wish to run a 24" monitor or higher with as much settings maxed possible then perhaps.

A single gpu solution and a 22" monitor is very well capable and I know about most people but I prefer playability over the looks.

Silvgearx April 26, 2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadaveca (Post 185574)
no real point in making a vga switch...gains will be minimal as best. And you won't get $200 a peice for 4850 any more...new cards go for $175 or so now that 4890 is out.

Going from a 9950 to a 940 might be a better path, but then again, the gains are minimal, yet again.

correction, brand new 4850 can be found for $150 :haha:

AmuseMe April 26, 2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX (Post 185658)
correction, brand new 4850 can be found for $150 :haha:

Thats okay, I was still offered $200 each. Shhhh! :bleh:

AmuseMe April 26, 2009 07:36 PM

Okay, I am on a 22" Samsung Touch of Color. I run everything at 1680x1050. 2ms respose time - this doesn't mean anything though. Rarely but sometimes I run my PC on my 42" 1080p Aquos. With these settings etc. What should I do?

CMetaphor April 26, 2009 07:56 PM

Count yer pixels buddy :thumb:

1680 x 1050 = 1.76 Megapixels
1920 x 1080 = 2.07 Megapixels

Difference? = 0.31 Megapixels... or 310K Pixels... Not a very big different At All. Still not worth going above a single decent GPU OR just keepnig your Xfire 4850s and upgrading your processor. :biggrin:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM.