Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2009, 03:40 AM
MVP

other components seems fine. can handle well together. but if its from 8800 GTS G92 to 4890..... then i wouldnt do it. waste more money for soso performance increase.
Old April 11, 2009, 05:14 AM
Top Prospect

Default You should not cheapen out and only listen to the advice you want to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak View Post

Thanks, I appreciate the objective, fact-laden post. I remember when I got the 8800GT people were telling me 485W PSU would be cutting it - But I had no problems.

So my plan is to give the 4890 a shot with my 485w, and if it works, great, if its unstable, then I'll sell it and upgrade.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!
Although that post has some facts, unless you really understand how they took the results, you will just misinterpret how much power you need and this information will lead you astray.

Here a quote from the 4870x2 review at HWC.

"Since these power consumption figures leave the system memory and the processor pretty much alone, we would recommend that you use a good 700W or higher power supply with an 8-pin PCI-E connector if you are planning on using this card."

Palit Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB Video Card Review

Because of this, you can actually get higher consumption than this in gaming scenarios which put a strain on stuff on top of the videocard.

Seeing as anandtech and hwc got similar results, I think they are both only straining the videocard. Similarly, HARDocp is using furmark which stresses only the videocard again, and perhaps even less so than the former, the memory and CPU.

If you were to put a core i7 overclocked to 1.45 volts with a 4.2 ghz speed I doubt it would stay stable on simply 500 watts. Especially on a older generation enermax, which typically put way too much capacity on the 3.3 and 5V and not the 12V which is the most important since almost everything including the processor and videocard use this rail. Note powersuppy get less efficient over time and lose capacity. Since this power supply was discontinued in 2006, I am guessing this PS to be atleast 3.5 years old, probably older. I am guessing its lost 25 percent of its original capacity since then.

Antec Power Supply Calculator
(look at footnote 4)

This means since this power supply produces 32A(product listing on newegg.com) max at 12 volts when brand new, you might only have 24A to work with, I don't think this PS is going to cut it. In other words, your working with a 375 watt power supply that not meant for todays generation of processors and videocards.

Addtionally, power supply running at max capacity typically have poorer efficiency and take more energy to produce the usable wattage in a system. They also have shorter lifespans and a dead PS can take out alot more than itself.

Last edited by sheepdogexpress; April 11, 2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old April 11, 2009, 03:11 PM
Top Prospect

The video card in question is a 1GB 4890. Not a 4870X2
Old April 11, 2009, 03:23 PM
Rookie

UPDATED

So, I got the card on Thursday and have been running it no problem ever since! Ran FURMark and 3dmark over nights, still running strong the next AM. gamed for hours, no problem!

We'll see hwo it keeps up, but so far so good!
Old April 11, 2009, 03:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak View Post
UPDATED

So, I got the card on Thursday and have been running it no problem ever since! Ran FURMark and 3dmark over nights, still running strong the next AM. gamed for hours, no problem!

We'll see hwo it keeps up, but so far so good!
What scores did you get?
Old April 11, 2009, 05:03 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonee1230 View Post
The video card in question is a 1GB 4890. Not a 4870X2
That not the point. The point is how most places test with a program that only stresses the graphics card and not the entire system to the max.

Theres a reason why skymtl is recommending a 700 watt power supply when in his test results, showed the 4870x2 consuming around 420watts. That being if you have a highly overclocked processor, it can consume 200+ watts and in the case of core i7, 300+ watts.

Didn't you read the quote I put from skymtl? You might think noone here knows what they are talking about, but damn skymtl, made that review and likely knows more than you, me and 99% percent of the people here. I especially think he knows more atleast about his testing methodologies.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:29 PM
Top Prospect

When did I assume no one here knows what are they are talking about on an ENTHUSIAST forum and why are you even bringing this up?

Did you go through the entire thread before commenting? People are recommending those same 700W PSU's for a 4890 and I'm saying no you don't need a 700W cause that would power a 4870X2 build.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:05 PM
Top Prospect

When you were questioning everyone advice on power supply usage. After he took your advice, as it was the advice he wanted to hear, he completely ignored everyone else.

He even ignored your request to even get a new 500+ watt PS, because he took those charts way too literal as how much power he needed. He is not taking into account how much amps on the 12v his power supply can provide or the degraded capacity of the power supply overtime. This power supply only has 1 pci-e connector, that is already a sign it is not made for high power graphics cards.

I think it would be wise for him to realize that a dead power supply can also take out other components with them when they die, so he buys a new power supply now before taking the risk.

Honestly, there are alot of people that don't know what they are talking about on this forum.

People are recommending that power supply because it simply not expensive to go 750Watts. Most of them are recommending the silencer or tx750, both of which could be found for 110 dollars. Pretty much the same cost as a 600w but just happening to have a 750w capacity.

NCIX stopped selling his power supply in 2005, that a sign of how old his power supply must be.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:11 AM
Top Prospect

I don't see the connection between me recommending a GOOD 500/550W or even 600/650W compared to him completely ignoring my (and other people's to a more extreme degree) advice and sticking with what he has now.

Surely on an ENTHUSIAST board one would have the ability to seek MULTIPLE sources of advice instead of relying entirely on one member's opinion....

If I came across to be "condescending" of other people's opinion then I apologize and that wasn't my aim to begin with.

But surely you don't expect him to spend for a 750W when all he needs may be a 600 or 650W (ignoring the fact that some 750W may be cheaper than 650W)

And just to note, I'm not here to argue or anything; but I didn't straight up say "NO YOU DO NOT NEED A 750W" I said "Are you guys SURE you need a 650W" I was merely questioning whether or not he actually needed that much wattage.

No one else came up with information as you had saying a 750W would indeed be required.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:32 AM
Top Prospect

You have to be able to see that running a system with 4890 and a overclocked quadcore off of a 485 watt power supply thats four years old is very risky considering its below ATI recommendation and the ps doesn't even have two pci express wires. I hope you can agree with me on that.

I think all he needs is a really really good 550w to a 650w, but considering the price of things, I think if a 600w costs as much as a 750w or within 20 dollars, might as well go for the 750 which is why a few people were recommending it. People around here love corsair PS, but a 450w vx cost 78 dollars, when a tx 650 is just over 90 and a tx750 is 110, you can see why people are recommending the tx750 or tx650.

Also the PS is almost universally transferable to his next system, so if you buy big now you won't have to buy a new one for a while.

I am just disappointed that somehow those charts somehow turned into him doing himself the biggest disservice he could to himself, the card and his system.

Last edited by sheepdogexpress; April 12, 2009 at 01:55 AM.

Tags
4890 , power supply