Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2009, 09:26 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No idea what happened but I wouldn't count on many other cards having this issue. It IS the fan as the header is feeding voltage so I am going to say it is just a malfunctioning motor. This is the same fan used on the GTX 260 and GTX 285 and I have not heard of ANY fan issues with those two cards. Just luck of the draw a guess...
Old April 4, 2009, 12:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That just sucks, I would like to see how it performs in SLI but stuff happens.
Do you think 1792mb card will preform even better?I guess its hard to say after seeing the 250...
Old April 4, 2009, 01:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Once again, be very careful which reviews you quote. TPU is well known for benchmarking only games that allow timedemos or have built-in benchmarks. This gives a bit of a narrow window regarding how a card will play with newer games.

Ran a few quick tests this morning. At anything under 2560, you are looking at another 7-12%.

Now that I have a properly functioning SLI mobo, expect more Crossfire and SLI reviews.
Thanks, Sky!
About our opinions on the paper launch...

Well, it didn't make a huge difference to me.
If the 275 was identical to the 4890 in price, performance, and overclocking, I would definitely wait and pick one up. That might be due to the fact that I have an sli board, but what I'm saying is that I wouldn't mind waiting.

As stupid as paper launches are, they don't bother me that much.
At least in this case, what draws me to the 4890 is its overclocking potential. I'm a sucker for cpus/gpus that overclock well. Also, I've always been a bit of an ATI fanboy

I'll get whatever gpu is the best, though. I'm running nvidia at the moment.
Old April 4, 2009, 02:38 PM
Rookie

Hi just joined up to make this comment.

As far as cards go, is speed the ONLY issue to what makes it the best ?
Think it was at the begining of this review (but have read a couple) it scratched at the Avivo qualities of this card. Meaning most on here are arguing about what will be the fastest, even when there are faster cards out there, but what about its other abilities with the video in as well as out.
Presumming it does have video capture capabilities, surely that is something none of the comparable Nvidia cards have !
Maybe reviewer could eloberate on its vivo functions as that what interests myself, a reasonabley fast card that can play latest games but ALSO an ability to manipulate video as well.

Steve
Old April 4, 2009, 03:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You make a good point The Rapid 1, but in fairness, I think SKYMTL did touch on some of the HD video benefits of ATI's cards in this (and previous) review(s).

One of the problems with including too much of this kind of information with Video cards is that it's not an exact science, and aside from "does it work?" (Like ATI's native HDMI audio support vrs Nvidia's audio header solution) we're often left with the subjective opinion of the reviewer.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old April 4, 2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rapid 1 View Post
Hi just joined up to make this comment.

As far as cards go, is speed the ONLY issue to what makes it the best ?
Hell no. As you started, ATI's AVIVO HD and native HDMI audio are definitely selling points. HOWEVER, I believe that there is a certain price cut-off, above which marketing a card for HTPC use becomes less of a factor. Case and point: the $250+ price range. At that price, a HD 4890 or even HD 4870 for that matter is a poor match for video manipulation, upscaling or BLu-Ray playback. Why? Because a $100 HD 4670 or even $70 HD 4650 will do just as good and cost less than half the price.

As for its capabilities, I think that was well laid out in the features section but there is quite a bit more that i have found out through my own use of Nvidia and ATI cards in my own HTPC. First of all, Nvidia cards and the Nvidia control panel as a whole is far less mature than the ATI CCC for fine-tuning a digital / HD display. There is also the issue that the current Nvidia drivers incorrectly identify HDCP capable displays (my Samsung 305T is not HDCP compliant but it detects it as compatible). As a whole, I find the ATI CCC is much more fine-tuned towards HTPC users as they have incorporated alot of the older All In Wonder options and have matured them as well. Nvidia simply has nothing to compare.

Finally, there is the major issue of the ATI cards natively supporting audio through HDMI. Nvidia's cards require you to hook up an S/PDIF connector from your mobo / sound card to the graphics card. Meanwhile, ATI processes the signals directly through the PCI-E bus.

Hopefully, this answers a few of your questions.
Old April 4, 2009, 04:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Hell no. As you started, ATI's AVIVO HD and native HDMI audio are definitely selling points. HOWEVER, I believe that there is a certain price cut-off, above which marketing a card for HTPC use becomes less of a factor. Case and point: the $250+ price range. At that price, a HD 4890 or even HD 4870 for that matter is a poor match for video manipulation, upscaling or BLu-Ray playback. Why? Because a $100 HD 4670 or even $70 HD 4650 will do just as good and cost less than half the price.

As for its capabilities, I think that was well laid out in the features section but there is quite a bit more that i have found out through my own use of Nvidia and ATI cards in my own HTPC. First of all, Nvidia cards and the Nvidia control panel as a whole is far less mature than the ATI CCC for fine-tuning a digital / HD display. There is also the issue that the current Nvidia drivers incorrectly identify HDCP capable displays (my Samsung 305T is not HDCP compliant but it detects it as compatible). As a whole, I find the ATI CCC is much more fine-tuned towards HTPC users as they have incorporated alot of the older All In Wonder options and have matured them as well. Nvidia simply has nothing to compare.

Finally, there is the major issue of the ATI cards natively supporting audio through HDMI. Nvidia's cards require you to hook up an S/PDIF connector from your mobo / sound card to the graphics card. Meanwhile, ATI processes the signals directly through the PCI-E bus.

Hopefully, this answers a few of your questions.
Does that mean that the drivers allow a non-hdcp display to complete the chain and play full HD (and thus override the security features) or is it still seen as a broken chain by the content security?

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old April 4, 2009, 05:44 PM

It is seen as a complete chain but HDCP protected content won't play...regardless of what the Nvidia control panel says.
Old April 4, 2009, 06:11 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Great reviews as usual, definately worth staying up late for. Now I can't wait for your review on the BFG version of the GTX275 OC, hopefully it's my next card(s).

I know you are overloaded with work, but any chance for some Folding stats on these cards...
PPD? I'll tell you in 2 weeks...
Old April 4, 2009, 11:41 PM
Rookie

would thermalright's HR-03 GT cooler fit on the 4890?
|Gamertag: balance101|
|Wii: 4026-1862-4297-3463|
|i7 920 w/ TRUE120 @ 4 Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD5 F6a | Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600CG 6GB |
|Nvidia 7800 GTX 256MB | Seagate 7200.11 2x750GB Raid 0 | Antec P182 | Antec 850W |
|Samsung SH-S203B | Westinghouse L2410NM |