Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2009, 10:59 PM
Top Prospect

Default GTX 295 Quick q's

Hey guys. Me again, I'm wondering, I have my 295 I've broken it in im sure. ( Crysis : D )

But other than that it seems to be lacking in the performance department, I've enabled quite a few settings, tried using Nhancer to force SLI and crap and regardless of that it's just not effective.

If anyone has any nvidia control panel settings that work really well and improve the performance of the 295. Let me know.

Because I've been scanning around and it seems like alot of cards can outperform my 295 in a sense.

I have the new i7 OCed ( I got a crappy batch :[ ) to about 3.2 ( sadly thats my max for now, apparently my PSU can't handle much higher of an OC ).

I have 6 gig's of triple channel ram.

My 295 GTX of course.

And a gigabyte x58 model board.

Any idea's as to why my card's disperforming when it comes to games and rendering? ( I've tried overclocking. ).

I just want to see the real performance from my dual GPU.

Thanks guys

-Dave
Old March 25, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I think the two main reasons you're not seeing all the performance is BECAUSE it's dual-GPU, like internal SLI. Alot of/most games don't work 100% with SLI, regardless of what settings you put in NHancer, sometimes a game just won't be able to utilize all of that performance you're getting.

Another thing, and I might sound a bit repetitive cause you probably hear this all over the place, is scaling. This ties in with my previous point about games not utilizing it all, but it's a bit different. I've seen on reviews that in some cases the 295 will not scale well because the GPU's cant "talk" to each other well enough to tell each other what to do. Happens all the time. Maybe for some games in the months to come there will be patches released that might help with scalability and of course dual-gpu utilization, but for now, there's not much that can be done.

What resolution do you game at normally, and what settings do you use? I have a feeling that for the games that don't use the dual-GPU card might when forced to, as in at higher resolutions, more AA/AF settings, etc.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
Top Prospect

1650x1080 at max settings for pretty much every game I play. Almost always I use max AA.

Pretty much max everything possible, sometimes I decide to use vertical sync, it for some reason tends to even out my FPS, but in other cases it really drops them.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well the reason it drops your FPS when you use VSync is because VSync syncs your FPS with your refresh rate to give a really smooth picture. Sometimes it's not about FPS, but rather if it plays smoothly. It doesn't make a difference whether you can play 80FPS or 100FPS, so long as it looks smooth and plays well in Sphere levels =D

Unless your monitor has a 20hz refresh rate, I wouldn't be worried. Turn off VSync and watch the frames fly and your eyes miss them all =D
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 26, 2009, 12:06 AM
Top Prospect

I know what Vsync is, I turn it off, and on, It really is different either way .

Without vsync, the frames jump like CRAZY. When its on its more controlled but obviously, less FPS.

I dontk now whats better.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The frames jump when VSync is off? There's your answer. THE GTX295 performs! But it's limited by VSync!

But yeah, I personally use whichever one (Vsync/NoVSync) seems the smoothest with no glitches. I like Vsync because it is really smooth, but sometimes It gets buggy or choppy when I play certain games, so I turn it on and off accordingly. Your GTX295 is/would be performing excellently either way, but with VSync it appears to not perform.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One