Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Huge EVGA Fail!!!! GTX 295 Hydro "copper" mixes ALU and CU in the same BLOCK!

Fudzilla

Unbelievable!

I can't even fathom the depth of their stupidity on this move. They're going to have to recall this product!
Old March 24, 2009, 04:30 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Galvanic corrosion is grossly egagerated.

Edit: It's actually zero with non-conductive coolant.
Old March 24, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It isnt THAT bad...As long as you use a good coolant it should be fine. Look at most koolance kits or dare I say thermaltake/coolermaster. They will go years without issues, and I bet that will be longer than anyone would own this card anyway....

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old March 24, 2009, 04:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Could be, but we're dealing with fairly fine "tines" that wouldn't take too much to damage, and I've seen some pretty convincing images of corroded block internals over the years.

Even if it wouldn't be much of an issue, I doubt many WC folks would jump at the chance to test it out.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 24, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Edit: It's actually zero with non-conductive coolant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
It isnt THAT bad...As long as you use a good coolant it should be fine. Look at most koolance kits or dare I say thermaltake/coolermaster. They will go years without issues, and I bet that will be longer than anyone would own this card anyway....
Do either of you run mixed metals in your loop?

These are also touching in the same block. Have you seen the pics of the Apogee GTX with ALU top?
Old March 24, 2009, 04:44 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've got a giant aluminum car rad in my copper loop. Ran it for a year on water. Zero corrosion. I'm running non-conductive feser fluid now, so there will be zero.

Differing metals have a galvanic potential, without something to conduct that their will be no transfer.
Old March 24, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I've got a giant aluminum car rad in my copper loop. Ran it for a year on water. Zero corrosion. I'm running non-conductive feser fluid now, so there will be zero.

Differing metals have a galvanic potential, without something to conduct that their will be no transfer.
I've seen too many horror stories and pictures. No mixing of aluminum and copper for me, thanks.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

Differing metals have a galvanic potential, without something to conduct that their will
be no transfer.
Yes, but in your case, the aluminum was remotely located. In this case, the two metals are in direct contact, so there will be conduction. Without anti-corrosives, this thing is an RMA waiting to happen. And seriously, it's not like there's a shortage of alternative materials available, Acetal/Delrin and Acrylic being two very obvious options.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Did the reviewer even pick it up?

Actually, in one of the pics you can actually see some corrosion starting.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A lot of barbs are differing metals than the Material THey are touching as well, Chrome Barbs on Aluminum Rads.
Heck even those with Brass Rads and GTZ Blocks have two different metals mixing (remember Brass is an Alloy so not pure Copper). Brass including Swiftech, Koolance, Faser etc..
So long as the Coolant is the right mixture of additives you should be fine.
THe LYtron Chillers At my Work have Massive Aluminum Rads with Copper Fittings and Copper/Brass BLocks on the Components attached. They Run Pure water with tiny additives and not once have they failed due to Corrosion.
It all depends on what coolant is used, and what metals are in direct contact.

My thoughts at least,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com