Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2009, 05:07 PM
MVP
F@H

Default powering video card from another psu?

so i got this ridiculous idea..
my old rig has a 500w brandless psu.. definitely not enough to power a gtx260 216
my newer comp is way too heavy to bring around.. so no lan capabilities
the thing is - my old computer has a shitty 6600gt that can't play anything for shit.. so i was thinking of swapping my gtx260 216 to my older comp

what if i connected my gtx260 (from newer comp) to my lan comp, and use someone else's PSU in another rig (for example, a P&C 750w or hx1k) to power my gpu, and use my 500w to power the rest?

would it work?
theoretically, id have my own psu powering Mobo, cpu, hdd's etc... not the vid card -
and have a friend's PSU power my GPU.

both comps would obviously be on 24/7, (providing that i hope no crashes occur) and his psu is deifniltey too much for his rig - enough power to power my card as well...

just a thought! or else id have to bring my 50lb tj-07 beast around.... =\
Old March 21, 2009, 05:53 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Yes, it can work actually. I've been doing some similar research into this for (yet another) upcoming project and you CAN power the graphics card separately. Just ensure that you turn on the power for the graphics card First, then turn on the rest of the system.
Old March 21, 2009, 06:21 PM
MVP
F@H

okay.. ill give this a shot see how well it works out

Old March 21, 2009, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I made a thread about this once: Can I use two Power Supplies?

I also attempted it and it worked fine.
Old March 21, 2009, 06:36 PM
MVP
F@H

dope. thank you all very much! :)
im plannin on sli'ing my 260 216's soon too :P
Old March 21, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since the graphics PSU is in another rig, (I'm assuming you're just bringing the PCI-E cable over?), you should be okay. Otherwise you my want to load the +5V and +3.3V of the graphics PSU to get a stable +12V. My Hewlett Packard PSU needed me to put resistors across the +3.3V and +5V (along with the paperclip on the ATX connector) for it to even start independently.

I may be electricity paranoid, but I'd connect the grounds of both PSUs together as well. This involves connecting the black wire of one psu to the other's black wire (through a Molex or something). Ground doesn't necessarily mean 0V, so if the two PSUs have different voltages on their grounds, say you unplugged one and made it get charged, the difference of voltages will probably discharge from one PSU, through your mobo and GPU, back to the other PSU.
Old March 21, 2009, 07:10 PM
MVP
F@H

^ehh?!?!?
wow thats pretty in-depth.. i hav eno idea what youre atlking about.
yes, the other psu (for the graphics) is in another rig that is fully powering things.. i think his rig is something along the lines of 9800gtx+/e8400/750 sli...?
Old March 21, 2009, 07:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I got dual Corsair 650's powering an MSI K9A2 Platinum w/9350e and 3 9800gx2's. One powers the board/cpu and 1 vid card, the other powers the HDD, fans and 2 vid cards I got a cable for $10 or so rather then paperclip the psu, a bit more of a permanent solution.

Have an A-1 day!
Old March 22, 2009, 01:22 PM
HaDeS

Test ATX Power Supply

Yeh i've done this as well.. you basically connect 2 of the ports on the plug that goes into the mobo to fool it into thinking its plugged into the mobo and it fires up. I did this years ago when I had a case running 12 fans or so... one psu for fans and one for the computer itself... ran fine. This isnt the exact website i used... but you can see the plug connector in the diagram... basically all I did was get some wire from work... the kind they use for wiring in plugs or light switches and plugged it in the corresponding ports.

little electrical tape so it didnt fall out and baddabing baddaboom a running PSU not plugged into the mobo.