Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2009, 08:45 AM
Rookie

Default Do I have enough juuuuice?

Hey all, just a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with. I recently ordered a sapphire HD 4830 video card and didn't realize until after that it has a PSU req, yeah I know, dumb... Apparently this video card requires 450W but my PSU is only 430W. I am hoping this 20W won't make a difference, but I've heard that as much as 550W is recommended. Will my 430W pull through for me?

Here is a link to the power supply I have. It's not a cheapy, but at the same time it's not top of the line.

tr2tt.com/products/psu/w006970/w006970.htm (sorry, can't post actual links yet, too n00b!)

The rest of my hardware is pretty modest with this video card probably being the best thing in my build. I have an Athlon 64 x2 3800 for a processor, MSI K9N Deluxe mobo, Seagate barracude 7200 (320gb) HDD, and a LG DVD-RW. So I wouldn't imagine all that is a big drain on the PSU, leaving ample power for my video card, or at least so I hope. If anyone could shed some insight to ease my worries while I wait it would be greatly appreciated!
Old March 5, 2009, 08:46 AM
Rookie

Alright, past that 0 post silliness, here's an actual link.

Power Supply Unit Series- TR2 430W Power Supply
Old March 5, 2009, 09:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I personally wouldn't do it on that PSU.
Its got a paltry 18A on the 12V rail....

For Comparison, a Corsair 400w has 30A , and my Ultra LSP450 has 26A.

That might be too much stress for that particular unit.
So, I would either get a Better One around the Same wattage, or, go a bit higher into the 550 range.

My thoughts at least.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 5, 2009, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to agree. the amperage is too low on that 12v rail. I'd consider the Corsair 400 watt or another higher unit with a high 25+ amps on the 12v rail.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 5, 2009, 10:22 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I have another question quick question. What happens if I try it anyway? Do I just risk frying the PSU, the video card, or both?
Old March 5, 2009, 10:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Really Depends on a lot of factors.
If it is just too much for the PSU, you probably won't even get it to boot up.
If its borderline, it could powerup, but the second the Video Card starts taking more power while its working, it could give you random shutdowns etc etc..

Now, that being said, I don't know what the Over Current Protection is like on that particular unit is like.
I got away lucky when I fried my Power Up! 450W on the Test rig in my sig.
It was just the PSU that got cooked.
When a PSU Goes, it has the potential to destroy a lot around it. Which is why you will always see people going for more than their system needs to give a good buffer zone.
And, when a PSU Is running at full load it tends to Generate a ton of heat.
So ensuring it gets lots of air is a must as well if you are going to run in borderline.

Something to think about at least,
I've always gone for good Quality PSU's with more than I ever need to make sure I have the best chances of not nuking my computer.

Good Luck,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 6, 2009, 07:31 PM
MVP

Like everyone else has said, its better to go with something you can run safely. I recommend getting a psu that is around 750w, that way you can carry it over to the next rig. Plus you'd have the option of running two cards in the future.

But thats just my opinion, I bought a beefy power supply to handle upgrades and so far am glad.
Old March 6, 2009, 07:48 PM
Top Prospect

18A is the 90's!

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old March 6, 2009, 11:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, so is 65% efficiency, and dual-80mm cooling fans. Not to belabor the point, but you're a prime candidate for a new power supply. Is doesn't need to be big - even a good 400W would be fine - but there is far better available these days, and just the improvements in electrical efficiency would likely offset much of the costs.

When SKYMTL tested out the HD4850 with a overclocked Quad-core rig, he found it pulling around 250W from the wall, and both your processor and video card should be equal to or less than those. So there should be some safety margin, even with the age of the PSU, and if you absolutely wanted to plug it in and run the rig, it would probably do it, unless the manufacturer overstated the ratings (not uncommon), but under no circumstances would I do anything remotely resembling overclocking with it.
Old March 7, 2009, 01:05 AM
Rookie

Hey Flood,

I think you should be fine, I personally have experience with a 4850 running on a 350 watt with a 15 amp power supply for almost a year. No stability problems whatsoever. i would say to give it a try

Regards,

- Jesse
PC: Athlon X2 5000 BE@ 3.2 GHZ, 2GB DDRII 1066MHZ Buffalo Firestix ram, Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard, Corsair HX650 watt power supply, Radeon 4850 videocard, Antec P180 case, two Seagate 320GB HD, Samsung Syncmaster 2443 24" monitor, JBL Platinum Series speakers.