Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Mixing Manufactures in CF (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/15397-mixing-manufactures-cf.html)

cwestwell March 2, 2009 02:43 PM

Mixing Manufactures in CF

I just want to confirm this...I have not found any info saying this is terrible on-line yet but I thought I would post to the masters and see if anyone knows of any issues with this.

I am looking to add another 4870X2 to my system I currently am running a Diamond stock card and was looking to add a stock Powercolor or XFX card does anyone know of any issues with this or have personally had any grief mixing manufactures..I know they are likely the same card and board just re-branded but I am suspicious of Diamond on this one...

Eldonko March 2, 2009 03:15 PM

Ive mixed and it worked fine.

JD March 2, 2009 03:47 PM

Yup perfectly fine. I run HIS and Diamond HD4850s.

I even run them at different clocks...

..'Ant'.. March 2, 2009 04:38 PM

Should be fine as long its the same card.

cadaveca March 2, 2009 06:07 PM

We do have another thread here with a user with 4780 1gb cards that are not working, and I have seen a few other issues, seemingly all related to XFX cards.

As all 4800-series cards are recognized as "4800-series", there seems to be sone issues with Vista itself when mixing cards.

This is contrary to what ATI had previously with Crossfire, and even then, they do say that all 4850/4670/4870 etc, etc, should work in pairs, but for some reason this is not working fully.

So, if you plan to get dual cards, try to get the same brand as well, to avoid any issues.

JD March 2, 2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadaveca (Post 157943)
We do have another thread here with a user with 4780 1gb cards that are not working, and I have seen a few other issues, seemingly all related to XFX cards.

As all 4800-series cards are recognized as "4800-series", there seems to be sone issues with Vista itself when mixing cards.

This is contrary to what ATI had previously with Crossfire, and even then, they do say that all 4850/4670/4870 etc, etc, should work in pairs, but for some reason this is not working fully.

So, if you plan to get dual cards, try to get the same brand as well, to avoid any issues.

Couldn't you just flash the BIOS and make the other card have the same manufacturer ID? Assuming they are both reference models of course. Or manually edit the BIOS accordingly if they are non-reference cards.

cadaveca March 2, 2009 07:26 PM

Well, we got digital PWM and analogue, and of course, because the digi is software controlled, the bios is a bit different, so I think as long as you stay within the same PCB, it's all good, but that thread with dude with XFX card and HIS card, both seemingly reference Digi-PWM, I'm a little leary...

I have dual analogue PWM cards, and have had no issues in getting Crossfire to work.

I will say though...getting another 4870x2? NOT a good idea(I had numerous issues when I bought two at release, turns out it is my board, but stil..). After 2 gpus, the scaling drops HARD, unless you are running 2560x1600, and even then, it might be better to await the 5xxx-gen cards...even a single 4870 has very few issues running most games @ 1920x1080...

cwestwell March 3, 2009 07:09 AM

Cool thanks everyone...just the answers I was looking for. I assumed this would be fine as long as it was the same PCB but it is good to here many people have had this work...I am especially intrigued by Jdrom's running the 2 card at different speeds that's awesome.

Jackquelegs March 3, 2009 10:35 AM

I'm mixing a Palit dual sonic 4870 with sapphire 4870. It refuses to work under vista64, but works fine in XP64

cadaveca March 3, 2009 10:44 AM

with the palit cards, and the dual bios, I'm not surprised there are issues.