Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2009, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Default Video/Graphics card upgrade

This is my first post, so please bear with me if it's not terribly original. I've an older Dell Dimension 4600 desktop with an Nvidia Gforce MX 440. I'm not a gamer but am starting to get into video editing and slide presentations. I've noticed the pans and zooms in my photo presentations are jumping slightly (absent on DVD TV playback) and suspect my graphics card can't keep up with the rendering. Have added a 19" LG flat screen which I'm quite pleased with and don't think this has anything to do with the jumpiness. I've also up-graded my DDR ram to 2 gigs. So...would a new/better card make my video/photo editing smoother, and if so please give me some suggestions.

Thanx
Old March 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well It depends on your mother board. Most boards have PCI-E now and thats what most video cards are, you probably have an AGP slot for video considering how old that card is.
If you're only doing editing and stuff you don't need a whole lot of power so you could probably get away with upgrading to an older card...
NCIX.com - Buy EVGA E-GEFORCE 6200 256MB 64BIT DDR AGP VGA DVI-I S-VIDEO Out Video Card - 256-A8-N341-LX In Canada.
that one should do the trick. (check to see if your board has an AGP slot first).

But if you're getting into editing and stuff pretty heavily you could build a new decent system for under 700 bucks probably.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
Banned
F@H

What program are you using? IT depnds on whether the app is video-hardware-accelerated, or just uses cpu power...and if just cpu power, changing vgas will have little impact.

That said though, the MX440 is an AGP card, meaning your options for an upgrade are limited...partially because of the vga-slot of the board, as well as the power of your psu.

So, unfortunately, there's no easy answer to your questions without further info...how powerful is your PSU, what connections the PSU has available, what programs you are using, and how much you'd like to spend are first and foremost.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
Rookie

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. First off,
1. Yes, it's an AGP card.
2. I jump back and forth between Pinnacle Studio 12, Magix Edit Pro 11, Roxio Media Creator 9 for video editing and ProShow Gold v4 for the slideshows. Its the Proshow that has the most video (photo) problems. 3. Also Photoshop Elements 7 for photo work.
4. I've no clue as to my PSU particulars. (2394 Mhz and at that age not a Dual Core)
All work is for personal pleasure not professional/commercial purposes so I don't need a really kick-ass system. Just need to make it.....smoother.....sweeter.

Tim
Old March 1, 2009, 01:25 PM
Banned
F@H

Well, i'd say right off, that spending $300 on the cheapest Dell/HP box would be a definate upgrade for ya, that might solve alot of your issues. Your system IS quite outdated, and barely meets the minimum requirements of your softwares.

Anyway, pretty much any AGP 8x card, that doesn't require an external power plug would work for you, even the one "the Max" suggested would be a big boost from your current set-up.

That said though, because your system DOES meet the minimums, it could simply be an issue of HDD-fragmentation, or lack of disc-space, that is causing your issues. I suggest freeing up some space if you can, and a proper defrag first, and see if that makes any difference. Your system is only a few years old, so may have a year or two left in it, but I personally would look at a newer system of teh same cost as your current one, if possible, as that should see you good a many years more.

but if you just want to splurge on the vga only, a 2600-series or the suggested nV 6200 would be your best bets....although it's hard for me to recommend either as they are both a bit otudated as well, and you can get better for the same cost, pci-e only though...which won't work in your current system.