Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2009, 12:17 PM
MVP

Default What's with the pricing on 4870?

OK so I'm over at "nouvelle oeuf" today and I notice that the price of a 512MB 4870 is all over the place - from a low of $206 to $350+. Why? Are they not pretty well all the same?
Old March 1, 2009, 12:55 PM
Banned
F@H

Each "brand" has different retailer discounts, hence the different prices.

Yes, they are all basically the same, however, cooling options and bioses differ greatly. The ASUS TOP cards, for example, really deserve a price premium, IMHO, but eve nthey are a bit lower as of late. I guess certain "brands" are selling better than others, so can afford to offer retailer's a break in getting the cards moving before the spring hits, while the less popular cards have prices still up over MRSP.
Old March 1, 2009, 03:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Also some don't follow reference design so they can cut costs on certain components or use cheaper alternatives. Though there's also the non-reference cards that op to use even better components. Could even use different RAM too to save/add costs. Many things can be changed from the reference design to improve/cut costs where needed.

NVIDIA doesn't really allow OEM's to change the design though but I think they finally gave in and are allowing OEMs to make their own designs now.

Also the support is a key factor with ATI, or lack thereof. I'd consider paying the price for a XFX card just to get fairly decent support and lifetime warranty.