Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2009, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Default On a three way SLI capable board....

... Does one use the SLI slot closest to the rear of the case, or the one closest to the front of the case for 2-way SLI

Also, how well does SLI play with XP64? I've had terrible luck getting things to play nice with XP64, but... compatability aside, its rock solid.

Current build is :

CoolerMaster Cosmos Case
Asus P5Q-Pro
Q9450 w/ Vendetta 2
4 gigs Patriot 1066mhz
5 x WD 500gig HD (4 in raid 10 as my windows array, the fifth is a linux boot)
EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+ and BFG 9800GTX+ (which I cleverly bought before asking the questions above)
Corsair TX750 PS.

I have put an aftermarket HSF on the BFG card such that I still have access to all of my SATAII ports.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Geoff

P.s. On another note, why is it that video cards come with such garbage TIM applications? I swear I removed about 3 grams from my EVGA heatsink and replaced with a reasonable application of AS2. Load temps dropped 7-8 degrees.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:30 PM
Top Prospect

1) P5Q pro is a crossfire enabled board so you can't run SLI. You can run two Nvidia cards seperate from each other in 8X speed, but you cannot run SLI. If you want SLI, you either need to get a Nvidia chipset board that supports SLI, or buy a X58 board that supports both crossfire and SLI
2) As far as I know there is only PCI-E slots at the back of the case. On a three way sli board it's a matter of wether you put them in the first (upper) PCI-E slot, the second (middle) PCI-E slot or the third (lowest) PCI-E slot. Most people will space the cards out and put them in the first and third slots because of the heat that they both give off when close together.
3) As for SLI working in X64, i'm using two GTX 260s in SLI on my 790i board with Vista Ulitimate X64 with no problem.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrowing View Post
... 1P.s. On another note, why is it that video cards come with such garbage TIM applications? I swear I removed about 3 grams from my EVGA heatsink and replaced with a reasonable application of AS2. Load temps dropped 7-8 degrees.
It's to save money- quick to apply in factory, tolerances don't need to be as tight in manfacturing because it's thick and can bridge any small gaps that migth exist between a chip and the heatsink, and quality control doesn't need to be as intensive because the pads are large and sure to cover the component well
Old February 26, 2009, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakano2k1 View Post
1) P5Q pro is a crossfire enabled board so you can't run SLI. You can run two Nvidia cards seperate from each other in 8X speed, but you cannot run SLI. If you want SLI, you either need to get a Nvidia chipset board that supports SLI, or buy a X58 board that supports both crossfire and SLI
2) As far as I know there is only PCI-E slots at the back of the case. On a three way sli board it's a matter of wether you put them in the first (upper) PCI-E slot, the second (middle) PCI-E slot or the third (lowest) PCI-E slot. Most people will space the cards out and put them in the first and third slots because of the heat that they both give off when close together.
3) As for SLI working in X64, i'm using two GTX 260s in SLI on my 790i board with Vista Ulitimate X64 with no problem.
I had thought that with the SLI bridge between the two cards, you didn't need a motherboard that was necessarily enabled. My understand was that a crossfire (or SLI) capable board only meant that it was capable of SLI without the SLI bridge between cards)

And its these SLI bridge slots that I'm referring to.

And XP 64 and vista 64 are very different beast, unfortunately. I get the stability and speed of XP, but pay for it with drivers written for nothing.

I would assume that both northbridge and southbridge heatsinks will be applied in a similar fashion? I should take a look at reseating those..