Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Is it worth the trouble for stepping up EVGA GTX 260 Core 216SC to GTX 285? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/14800-worth-trouble-stepping-up-evga-gtx-260-core-216sc-gtx-285-a.html)

appplejack February 12, 2009 02:12 AM

Is it worth the trouble for stepping up EVGA GTX 260 Core 216SC to GTX 285?
 
There are only 18 days left for Step-up.
I don't know if this is a good deal considering some troubles that I will have to endure: waiting time, border tax, and shipping costs. The difference I will have to pay is about $80 USD. So according to today's currency exchange rate, it's about $100 CAD.
What do you think? Would you do it if you were me?

ipaine February 12, 2009 05:39 AM

I'm not really sure if it is worth it or not but you will not have to worry about border tax. EVGA ships your new card as a RMA replacement so you do not get dinged on the duty.

belgolas February 12, 2009 12:55 PM

I have an extra rig so it wouldn't bother me too much if I went a week without my main rig. Although I have heard some people have had to wait several weeks. Now personally is the GTX 260 Core 216SC worth 100 bucks to upgrade probably not IMO because I personally Nvidia ONLY released the latest series to beat ATI. Now rumors have it that the new big daddy GPUs will be coming out this summer. So since the GTX 260 can hanle most games at max settings already I think it would be wiser to wait till then or else you might be stuck with the equivalent version of the 9 series vs GTX 200 series. But this is only my opion and if you are also like me and want the faster now then do it. The pro is that you will get a faster card and even if the new GTX 300 or 5870 come out you could sell the GXT 285 for a lot more than a GTX 260. So either way is a good move.

zlojack February 13, 2009 05:50 AM

I went for it and I'm happy.

It turned around super-quick. I sent the card out on a Thursday and the following Friday it was back.

appplejack February 14, 2009 05:05 PM

I was surprised by the price drop of GTX 260. EVGA GTX 260 55nm is around 260.
When I bought it two months ago, it was around $350. Maybe it's a good idea to switch to GTX 285 before it's too late.
One question about shipping the product back to EVGA for Step-up:
What kind of packaging do you have to use?

Thanks


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:18 AM.