Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old February 11, 2009, 09:19 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,628
Default

Well, then I think that the mob/cpu/mem/PSU upgrade may be your best bet. NCIX has some good combo deals on occasion that may be right up your alley...I've got 4 kids too, so can totally understand wanting to save some cash...
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old February 11, 2009, 10:04 AM
Eagle Eye's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kleinburg, ON
Posts: 2,069

My System Specs

Default

Based on your system specs I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Cadaveca that a mobo/cpu/mem/psu upgrade is needed here. The 939 platform was fantastic but in short of options and available hardware its tough to upgrade, had you been working with an AM2 platform we would have many options to work with. All things considered, since you're on a budget I think it would be best to look at combo deals (as suggested by Cadaveca) and browse the web for cheap deals on used AM2/AM2+ systems and components.

I acutally just spoke to Table21 a guy that I have dealt with in the past he has an Athlon64 X2 5000+ BE (does 3.2Ghz on air) thats he willing to part with, send him PM if you're interested. Finding you a cheap AM2/AM2+ board and 2Gigs of DDR800 should be easy enough and with the 4850 we could keep in under the $400 mark. Let me know what you think, I think it would be a pretty solid update to you're current system and still offer some flexibility down the road, especially if you can score yourself an AM2+ motherboard.

Regards,

EE
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2009, 04:20 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC.
Posts: 34
Default

ive picked out mobo its msi k9a2 - cf wich will do me and i can get it for 100 bucks. I would like to go with phenom cpu triple or quad core cause i have 4gigs of 1066 memory allready. My bigest problem is trying to find a good psu that will support cross fire setup for in the future, thats at a decent price! Well id like to thank all of u for your help! U guys helped me make up my mind and ive decided to go with the system upgrade. Cause that will be my best option in the long run plus i can make my old computer into a home theater pc wich ive been waiting to do for about 3 years now! Well thanks now i got go pickup my mobo and next month ill see about geting phenom cpu hopefully i can dig up quad core cpu. Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2009, 04:41 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is online now
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,815

My System Specs

Default

I would of got a better motherboard since that only has the SB600 which is going to suck if you want to OC Phenoms or at least that's what I hear.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2009, 05:16 PM
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belleville, Ontario
Posts: 559
Default

Edit: didnt even see the last 2 posts lol

Id recommend getting the ati 4830, you can oc it to speeds that meet or exceed 4850 performance, theyre also GREAT in crossfire. And my psu was only $80 and handles both cards as well as a phenom II 940 so if you were to get an x3 itd be more than enough
__________________
Case: HAF 932
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940 3.5ghz w/ OCZ Vendetta 2 Cooler
PSU: OCZ StealthXstream 600w
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2009, 05:26 PM
ebdoradz's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rouyn-Noranda, QC
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernode View Post
ive picked out mobo its msi k9a2 - cf wich will do me and i can get it for 100 bucks. I would like to go with phenom cpu triple or quad core cause i have 4gigs of 1066 memory allready. My bigest problem is trying to find a good psu that will support cross fire setup for in the future, thats at a decent price! Well id like to thank all of u for your help! U guys helped me make up my mind and ive decided to go with the system upgrade. Cause that will be my best option in the long run plus i can make my old computer into a home theater pc wich ive been waiting to do for about 3 years now! Well thanks now i got go pickup my mobo and next month ill see about geting phenom cpu hopefully i can dig up quad core cpu. Thanks guys!!
i may be interested in that 939 setup i f you'r willing to sell

i love playing with older system and i dont game anymore so dual core 939 cpu is enought for web browsing and msn chatting
__________________
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P / AMD Phenom II x3 720BE @ x4/ Crucial Ballistic DDR3 / Sapphire 4830 512mb / Corsair 620W PSU / 2*80GB Seagate

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb


Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2009, 11:31 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC.
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdoradz View Post
i may be interested in that 939 setup i f you'r willing to sell

i love playing with older system and i dont game anymore so dual core 939 cpu is enought for web browsing and msn chatting
Ill keep it in mind but its going to be a few months since i plane to buy each piece of my new computer one piece every month since i dont have the money to get it all at once!
ill get the motherboard this month and the cpu in the march and the power supply in april. but if your not in a rush i might be interested in your offer!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old February 12, 2009, 11:57 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC.
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Edit: didnt even see the last 2 posts lol

Id recommend getting the ati 4830, you can oc it to speeds that meet or exceed 4850 performance, theyre also GREAT in crossfire. And my psu was only $80 and handles both cards as well as a phenom II 940 so if you were to get an x3 itd be more than enough
I was thinking about going with the 4830 but since its only got 640 shaders and the 4850 has 800 shaders. I think the raw power of shaders definetly makes a huge diffrents power ive found especialy for only 40 bucks more i think the 4850 wins the dollars per power hands down. Also i got a 22 inch samsung monitor that has a high resoultion and i want a card that can run games at those 1680 x 1050 and i would need two 4830 s to run 1680 x 1050. the 4850 should do that on most games with just one card yet i plane to get to of them! I did check out the 4830s and since im pretty hardcore gamer i dont want to go light on my video card if i went with 4830 i would just end up upgrading to faster card a month later i think. Thanks for the help though i really been going over that one for months and ive come to the point where i think i need the little extra power ;
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old February 17, 2009, 06:48 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 16
Default

I have to agree on the amd issue for myself check the Phenom2 45nm x3 720Black Edition it'll run ddr3 on new mobos which will hit street end of this month the chip is 2.8
seen in reviews can do 3.5 easily and its like 198 at ncix preorder so prolly yeah will set you back but itll be future proof for a bit and you'll get by on your 3870
for a wee bit longer I understand the kid issues too :)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a 2180 bottleneck a 4850? donimo Video Cards 4 October 16, 2008 10:07 AM
FS: 4.2GHz E8400 zlojack Buy/Sell & Trade 3 September 11, 2008 07:29 AM
OCZ Announces the World’s First High-Density 2GHz Solution Hardware Canucks Press Releases & Tech News 0 May 5, 2008 05:31 PM
C2D E6400@ 3.2Ghz Needs Advice Please?! bushwickbill Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking 8 January 18, 2008 10:18 AM
Ultra Liquid Cooling P4 1.7GHz to 5.2GHz BALISTX Water Cooling 2 March 12, 2007 06:16 PM