Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2009, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

Default Looking for a TV Tuner

I want to get rid of my old TV in my room since I don't have a lot of room. I decided I'd get a decent TV Tuner. I found the following at futureshop.ca

Future Shop: Computer Add-Ons: Sound & Video: Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1800 PCIe HD TV Tuner Card

Future Shop: Computer Add-Ons: Sound & Video: Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1600 PCI Card HDTV Tuner

Future Shop: Computer Add-Ons: Sound & Video: Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1250 PCI-E Tuner Card

Future Shop: Computer Add-Ons: Sound & Video: Hauppauge WinTV-Go Plus

I'm leaning towards the first one since it has component input so I can hook up my PS3. want I want to know is, how does it display on the screen. is it a simple window which I ca shrink to allow me to surf while watching or is it restricted to full screen only?

thanks
Old January 29, 2009, 04:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have the 1600 you linked and its a great card.
It comes with software that i don't use (I think WinTV 2000), which will allow you to go full screen or windowed. I was not too impressed with it myself, but is as good as most that will come with any tuner you will buy. However, I decided to buy SageTV as the media software, which works well with the Hauppauge cards you listed (at least the first two).

As for your PS3, perhaps you can just plug your PS3 into your monitor directly? Does your monitor have an HDMI input?
Fold for team #54196