Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2009, 08:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default High pitch sound when Oc'ing

You know that sound that sometimes sounds like the CBC test pattern in your head? I know I'm not a mutant here as I've asked several people over the years if they hear that very high pitch sound which seems to eminate from inside your ear canal. I once looked it up and found a multitude of explanations but the one that a medical site suggests is that cells in the inner ear are dying and thus we hear that annoying high pitch squeeling in our ears.

Anyways I'm setting to stage for the sound that my video card has been making ever since I started overclocking my shaders and downclocking my mem and core to enhanse my ppd folding. It's just such a very high pitch sound and I know it's not the fan because this sound only starts when the shaders are cranked and the card is at full load folding. This sound goes away if I turn down my shaders and it's pretty funny how playing with the shader clocks is like turning a light switch on for that squeeling sound. I have full control of every fan in my case and lock them all to a specific rpm so I'm positive it's not a fan issue.

It's frankly very annoying and I'm just wondering if others have ever heard strange noises like this in their video cards? Or have you ever just heard that sound in your head like I tried to discribe in my opening paragraph? heh.
Old January 18, 2009, 08:25 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've heard both.

Medically, I'm deaf from the left ear because of that "noise". Too much high volume sounds when I was young damaged the ear.

Computer-wise, the noise comes from the Voltage regulators - usually a better cooling setup (air or water) helps - but unless you lower the speeds, the noise will not go away.
Old January 18, 2009, 08:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Charlie you da answer man! I turned my video cards fan up and poof the squealing sound is gone. I was trying the opposite and turning the fan down because I thought it was the culprit. Heh now I can hear the fan but it's something I can deal with over that high pitch squeal that was making me go insane! Thanks a mil charlie.
Old January 18, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What 3.0charlie said. I've heard both.

Ironically I'm also hard of hearing in my left ear, but for different reasons.

As for the noise coming from the computer, don't worry about it, chances are there is not much you can do, like 3.0charlie said, better cooling around the mosfets and voltage regulators may help get rid of the squeal.
Old January 18, 2009, 09:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've seen (heard) "stress squeal" mostly on motherboard components (My DFI Dark was famous for it). Sometimes you can isolate the specific component that's squealing with the erasure end of a pencil. If the sound goes away when you apply a small pressure, you can try a dab of epoxy to deaden the sound.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 18, 2009, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My old BFG 7800GS OC did that, it was annoying indeed - however it's NOT all components that do that -My BFG 8800GT 512MB OC doesn't do that at all no matter how far I OC it it is dead silent, even with fan turned down at the lowest.......
Old January 18, 2009, 10:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

None of my 260s nor the 9800 squeal, but both my 280s did...
Old January 18, 2009, 10:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

All excellent explanations guys. I'm glad I'm not insane and others hear these noises to. As for my VRM squealing charlie I'm wondering if it stopped because another vibration quelled or canceled it (my fan increase). just to many damn variables to account for every possibility I guess but who cares why it stopped really. I love your idea about the eraser sswilson that's a keeper. One thing I often wished for was some sort of sound measurement tool that could reach into the tiny nooks and cranies of a computer case to pinpoint those aggrivating sounds which I'm sure we've all had before. I've tried two approaches, one is to take every part out of the case and test each one at a time. Secondly I've just learned to ignore the sound haha.

Ohh on a side note here. Everyone know those little rubber fan mount/pins (vibration isolators) I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!
These lil jewels really quiet fans a lot and I want more! They're DAM GOOD
Old January 18, 2009, 11:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I suffer much the same fate as 3.0Charlie when it comes to high frequency sounds (mine are related to jet engines and loud ground support equipment) so the squeals bother members of my family a lot more than they bother me.... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 18, 2009, 12:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I suffer much the same fate as 3.0Charlie when it comes to high frequency sounds (mine are related to jet engines and loud ground support equipment) so the squeals bother members of my family a lot more than they bother me.... :)
Mine came first from (too) loud sound systems and being a careless AME... stupid me. Kids, take care of your ears...

I'm affected diffferently though - I hear low rumbles very clearly, and very high pitch sounds are very annoying.