Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default BFG 7600GT temps..

Hey guys..

I bought a used 7600GT for my brother so he could play world of warcraft with less lag (he had onboard) and so far it's working a lot better, however...

It's running really hot... today we checked it after he's been gaming for an hour or so and it read 89 deg! That's the highest it's been so far..

So my question is, is that safe to run that card like that? I know it's a high temp, I would never want my 9800gtx running that high (barely gets over 60).. I just don't want it to burn out on him..

The case in his computer is the reason why it's running so hot... I did install an 80mm fan for exhaust in the rear of the case, but it can only do so much to help it...

If this is truly un-safe I don't know what I'm going to do with it... there is no real fan options on that stupid case...

This is why you don't buy future shop computers!!!
Old January 15, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If there is any room to install an aftermarket heatsink its something you might consider. I am sure there are plenty to choose from even the cheapest will be better than stock. Another possible solution is removed the stock cooler and apply a new application of TIM, the material might have lost a lot of its thermal conductivity over time or the base is not making full contact with the core. I had 2 7600GTs from EVGA and I don't think temps ever got anywhere near 89oC.

EE
Old January 15, 2009, 03:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I second the motion to put a better Heatsink on the Video Card itself, I imagine there are many options out there for doing that.
I don't think, running anything that hot is good. Although I doubt it will ignite, before it just burns itself out..

Yeah, Big Box Computer cases Don't know how to breathe properly.... Cut a Hole in the side of the case and stick a 120mm Fan for Intake over the card. My thoughts at least..

Good Luck,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 15, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I suppose I could put a new heatsink on it... the thing is, I bought it cheap since that computer is cheap, and buying a new HS for it would cost more than the video card did! Unless I could find a used one somewhere..

I could put new thermal paste (assuming that's what you mean by TIM?) on there, that should help at least... The heatsink/ fan on that card are really sad looking

Old January 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
Allstar

some cards do run that hot, and that HS is tiny...

you could try loading something like Rivatuner and setting up a custom fan profile, I know on my 1950 pro it wouldn't go higher than 60% fan speed until it got over 80C...

Otherwise I would just run it until it died and take advantage of that BFG lifetime warranty. It would have to get up to a few hundred degrees before it was a fire hazard
Old January 15, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the exact same card in a Lian Li PC60B Plus 2 and I have the same temps as you when gaming. These heatsinks suck. I placed a 120MM fan from the stock Compaq case near it and it stays around 60C. (fan is set to 95% as well through the Nvidia control panel))
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old January 15, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the 7600GT on my old PC, it got up to around 85-90 C. I put on the Arctic cooling accelero or whatever it's called and now it idles at 34 and at load around 45-50C
Old January 15, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I just put some new thermal paste on there and not sure if it even did anything... my brother fell asleep and i don't know how to play WoW so I guess we'll test it tomorrow. So far it's idling at 63C... so that doesn't seem to be much better! I don't know if I put enough on or if it rubbed a bit when I re-installed the heat sync or what...

I forgot and that's right, BFG does have lifetime warranty... the only problem with that is, they'd probably replace it with a 9600gt or something.... and that computer doesn't have the power to support a card like that.. or even the power cables LOL.. I suppose it's worth getting a new PSU for a free nicer video card anyways... so that makes me not so worried.. The people at the computer store told me it had lifetime on it.... even though I bought it used ;)

Old January 15, 2009, 06:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just my opinion, I would have put a smaller dab of TIM on that. But at least you are using teh good stuff for it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 15, 2009, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you just voided your warranty . Not trying to burst your bubble.

Heres what i got from there site:

APPLIES TO ALL GRAPHICS CARDS INTRODUCED BY BFG ON OR AFTER 2/21/08

BFG Technologies warrants to the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package ("Product") that the Product will be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser (residing in the United States or Canada) owns the product, when given normal wear and proper usage. For original purchasers residing in areas outside the USA or Canada, the limited warranty for graphic cards shall be for a period of ten (10) years from the date of purchase.

In connection with such Limited Lifetime or Ten Year Warranty, all BFG graphics cards introduced on or after February 21, 2008 must be registered on BFG Tech - Home within thirty (30) calendar days of the original purchase date to activate the limited lifetime warranty or limited ten (10) year warranty. Products not properly registered will be covered from the date of purchase by a two (2) year limited warranty in Europe and a one (1) year limited warranty in the US and other countries. Proper registration includes submitting proof of purchase to BFG.

This warranty is only valid if the product:
  • Was not damaged while being installed.
  • Was not damaged by software or hardware from a company or individual other than BFG Technologies or by motherboard incompatibility.
  • Was operated in accordance with BFG Technologies specifications, instructions and any technical support directions.
  • Was not modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies.
  • Third party products, such as motherboards and other system components using or interacting with this Product are not covered by this warranty.
All products sent in for Return Merchandise Authorization (“RMA”) in connection with warranty claim must include a copy of the original invoice or receipt.

BFG Technologies' liability under this warranty, or in connection with any other claim relating to the Product, is limited to the repair or at BFG Technologies option, the replacement of the portion of the Product which was defective in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to any software component.

Last edited by Silvgearx; January 15, 2009 at 06:56 PM.