Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default BAH, looking for some advice again...

Hi All,
Since I've switched things around a bit lately and got my new E8400 up and running happily, the wife decided she likes my 4850 so I decided why not- gives me an excuse to get a new video card for myself. Unfortunately while in the process tossing out Crossfire as a solution for myself ROFL. I'm kind of torn between the XFX 4870 because of it's outstanding warranty service, though checking some of the reviews here like I always do, on some of the newer GPU's I've noticed some pretty nice pricing for GTX 260 216's so now I can't really decide between the two.

It seems that some BFG versions can be PM'd for cheaper than the 4870 right now and has some nice performance to boot. Might be able to get an XFX Black edition for a few dollars more than the 4870...yeah having no brand loyalty for video cards kinda sucks from time to time. I do play my games at 1680x1050 and don't really want to go very far over $300 though...any suggestions?
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old January 12, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Firstly holy 4GHz at 1.25v thats impressive, watercooling really does help.

As for the gpu delimma either one you choose the performance won't disappoint you its all a matter if you want the option to crossfire. I have the same board and I don't feel I am missing anything really I prefer a single gpu and love having a sound card. I tend to favour nVidia cards so my choice would be the GTX260 over the 4870 if I were in your position.

EE
Old January 12, 2009, 07:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

The voltage creeped me out too, but I've run Prime & Orthos for hours on end and things worked...I think the powers that be might just have been nice to me for once ROFL. I've had mostly crossfire capable boards and seem to never have gone past a single GPU. I'm somewhat leaning towards an NVIDIA GPU this time, it's been a while since I've had one and think it might be time to try them out again...suppose the upcoming sales will play a big part though too.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old January 12, 2009, 07:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, if you fold, it's an easy choice. The 260 wins hands down. If you don't fold, I'd be tempted to get the 4870, in case you decide to crossfire down the line. Does that muddy the waters enough?

Edit: ninja'ed, by the OP no less.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally looking at benchmarks and self experience I would go with a GTX 260 core 216. For a few reasons. First is more nvidia cards have better warranty, the 260 has better performance on average and the cards run cooler and quieter. I used to have 4870's and they are quit a bit louder and hotter.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 12, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think "patients" here is the best option than given time that it takes for the market to level after all that is released should give you a better idea. Neo don't be shy to check out whats used in the BST you might find an even better deal there.

EE