Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

52 C? Are you kidding me ? No - the card WILL get much hotter - Try running FurMark at the highest settings and if your card holds at 52C I'll buy it from you :D

I'd say the magic number would be in the 80-85C tops..... What are the thermal ratings for those anyways ? 90-100C? Regardless, I wouldn't run my cards above 85C ! and they've never gone higher at torture testing.
Old December 28, 2008, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
52 C? Are you kidding me ? No - the card WILL get much hotter - Try running FurMark at the highest settings and if your card holds at 52C I'll buy it from you :D

I'd say the magic number would be in the 80-85C tops..... What are the thermal ratings for those anyways ? 90-100C? Regardless, I wouldn't run my cards above 85C ! and they've never gone higher at torture testing.
Yes I very much doubt that 52c is his load temp....that was why I wanted him to load and play Crysis for awhile and report back...anyhow, from my "sources" on the Evga Site the majority of folks seem to be "heavy loading" the 260 (216) to around 78c, 280's a little higher (as much as 85c)...all depends on thier Cases n cooling and some are simply leaving the Auto Fan Speed at Auto (higher temps).
They sday the threshold is upwards of 100c however, I found anything above 75c with an OC caused artifacts....personally I keep load temps below 71c by adjusting fan speed.

Old December 28, 2008, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try to keep temps below 75C at max. I like to keep it below 70c.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 28, 2008, 06:40 PM
MVP
F@H

haha
i figure it's only 52 cuz im playin cs:s LOL :P
will 3dmark vantage get the 'full load'?
Old December 28, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Yes I very much doubt that 52c is his load temp....that was why I wanted him to load and play Crysis for awhile and report back...anyhow, from my "sources" on the Evga Site the majority of folks seem to be "heavy loading" the 260 (216) to around 78c, 280's a little higher (as much as 85c)...all depends on thier Cases n cooling and some are simply leaving the Auto Fan Speed at Auto (higher temps).
They sday the threshold is upwards of 100c however, I found anything above 75c with an OC caused artifacts....personally I keep load temps below 71c by adjusting fan speed.
From what I recall the threshold was lower for that type of GPU -and if i'm not mistaken it's 90-95C or slightly higher.

nonetheless it's never a good idea to run your card that hot for a long period of time and a good idea to keep it running as cool as possible - and even if it runs at 85C it's not doing so 100% of the time but under full load.
Old December 28, 2008, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
i figure it's only 52 cuz im playin cs:s LOL :P
will 3dmark vantage get the 'full load'?
CSS won't put much of a load on that Card at all.its really not that demanding, I only see a max temp of 55c playing Fallout 3, 60c playing Far Cry2 Crysis n Warhead are the "brutes"...don't know about Vanatage as I'm XP not Vista. As said, try Furmark or even ATI tool running "Scan for artifacts" for a long period of time.

Old December 28, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Furmark is free and is way more demanding then Crysis.

FurMark: Graphics Card Stability and Stress Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 28, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would steer clear from ATI artifact testing tool - it gives false positives ! I've used that tool with my 8800 GT and it had artifacts all over the place - yet I've torture tested with Furmark and other tools and not a single dot - Used the tool on other of my cards on other PCs same shit, so it's not a reliable tool, at least for some NVIDIA cards / chipset combos,
Old December 29, 2008, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on the card but under 80 C should be ok. My first 8800 Ultra got up to 104C just in 3dmark before I put an aftermarket cooler on, that dropped the max temp 40 C thankfully. I don't think the HS was on right or something because that is far too hot.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Depends on the card but under 80 C should be ok. My first 8800 Ultra got up to 104C just in 3dmark before I put an aftermarket cooler on, that dropped the max temp 40 C thankfully. I don't think the HS was on right or something because that is far too hot.
You're right - that's too hot even for a stock cooler - unless you had heat problems inside your case. Never ever had to use aftermarket coolers on my cards - My BFG 8800GT 512MB OC runs cool out of the box, even with its factory OC and even further OCing it above 700, temps are never above 85C.

Whatever you do be safe - when running furmark or stresing your card make sure you can monitor your GPU temp and be ready to stop the test should it get too hot.

I remember my old card, the 7800GS OC it was rated for 125C :D

I think the thermal specs will be even tighter as new cards come out....