Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2008, 05:09 PM
Top Prospect

Default What are the other disadvantage of using more than 2 GPUS?

I heard someone saying that he's opposed to using 2 GPUS because some games don't support SLI or Crossfire and heat issue. I'm looking for some more idea to make my decision whether I should get another EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 to make it SLI or wait until GTX 295 to be released and do step-up.
Thanks
Old December 21, 2008, 05:28 PM
Top Prospect

nvidia chipset (unless your on i7 already)
the stuff that comes with a crappy chipset
more power consumption
more heat
BFG Geforce 8800GT OC SLI (folding issues...)
WD 500GB
NZXT Apollo
OCZ Vendetta 2 w/ Bolt-thru kit +Scythe S-Flex F
Syncmaster T220, Razer Deathadder, Lycosa Mirror Edition, X-240 speakers
Old December 21, 2008, 06:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

And yeah, if a game doesn't support SLI, then only one card gets used while the other sits idle, basically reducing the gains of having SLI. However the GTX295 would have the same issue as it's just using internal SLI so I'd think that if a game didn't support it, only one core would actually be doing work. Unless they've done something to avoid this problem? I'm not really sure.
Old December 21, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

But the majority of games support SLI and even crossfire and their support is only increasing.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 21, 2008, 08:40 PM
MVP
F@H

crossfire and sli gets better and better with every driver release.

if you are into customizing, editing, tweaking, etc, then go for it.

If you just want it to work the first time, every time, no matter what title, then dont.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old December 21, 2008, 09:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Its not about heat...I mean any video card's gpu should handle around 80C (Thats not even pushing it) its just that there aren't many drivers and games that support the setup....Only game I can think of right now is COD4 it gives crossfire a different meaning. Its about double the performance...Also, these setups usually lean against playing at a pretty high resolution....
Old December 22, 2008, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One disadvantage of SLI or Crossfire is the cost, the performance one will get doesn't always justify the cost of the additional videocard.

You are correct the benefits of SLI are seen more often at much higher resolutions, while most single gpu solutions can achieve similiar framrates its turning up the textures, FSAA and AA that make SLI a viable option. To reiterate whats been said here, SLI only works as good as the drivers and games support it and to quote
Quote:
crossfire and sli gets better and better with every driver release
and if I might add with every new game release.
Old December 22, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

I agree with EE, the only major issue with 2 GPU setup is the cost of it.. If you can afford it, go for it. But if you are looking to upgrader again sooner or later, then a SLI or Crossfire setup, I think would't click you, might as well just get something like a 4870x2 or GTX295 that is coming out soon.

Minor issues like heat issues can be resolved, you need goor airflow, if you think you are just going to throw in 2 cards in a cramped case, you're bound to have that issue.

And like others said, every new driver release and new games being released daily are supporting SLI and CF more and more.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 22, 2008, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I agree with EE, the only major issue with 2 GPU setup is the cost of it.. If you can afford it, go for it. But if you are looking to upgrader again sooner or later, then a SLI or Crossfire setup, I think would't click you, might as well just get something like a 4870x2 or GTX295 that is coming out soon.

Minor issues like heat issues can be resolved, you need goor airflow, if you think you are just going to throw in 2 cards in a cramped case, you're bound to have that issue.

And like others said, every new driver release and new games being released daily are supporting SLI and CF more and more.
+1....in a nutshell.

Pros
1. Superior performance at higher Resolutions with full AA n AF enabled
2. Up to 40% increase in Frame Rates under certain conditions.
3. Nvidia Drivers provide excellent support re: Scaling and enabling most games to take full advantage of SLI
4. Just so you can "have it"....and play with it!

Cons
1. Initial Cost
2. Increased heat....require a more advanced Cooling Solution in your Case.
3. Requires a beefier PSU (Nvidia anyhow)
4. Only justifiable , imo, with a 24" monitor or greater - hence if you have a smaller monitor, its not necessary, if you want it, you'll be shopping for a minimum 24" monitor.
5. Greater potential for "problems", however my experience with nVidia has been simple plug n play.....however, their have been noted problems.
6. When you want to "upgrade" in the future, you'll be stuck with 2 Cards instead of one.

Whoa...their are more Cons then Pros.....but in my case..I simply wanted it!

Old December 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
Allstar

this may the most retarded question ever, but is it possible to make mix two different [sli-able] graphics card?