Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2008, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Default EVGA gtx260+ or XFX gtx260 Black Edition

Hi, Im wondering which gtx260 to go with
evga or xfx??

by the way, is P5Q-E good enought board for gtx260 (not gonna SLI)

Thanks
Old December 20, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Both XFX and EVGA have excellent after-sales support & warranties. Unless you think you can take advantage of EVGA's 90Day step up program, I'd go with whichever one is cheapest.

To answer your other question, yes, the P5Q-E is an EXCELLENT board, no issues really to worry about their regardless of what GPU you finally decide on.
Old December 20, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personally I'd go with Evga!

Old December 20, 2008, 04:09 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replys

Why evga?? not questioning
just want to know why you would go with evga

Thanks
Old December 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
Thanks for the replys

Why evga?? not questioning
just want to know why you would go with evga

Thanks
I don't know his exact reasoning, but the reason I would recommend EVGA is they have a lifetime warranty, and a 90 Day step-up program. The 90 Day step-up program works like this; if a new card comes out with 90 Days, they will let you "step up" the card, paying only the difference. Meaning if you were to buy a 260GTX today for $300, and the new 295GTX comes out at an MSRP of $400, then you would pay only $100 to "step-up" to the 295GTX.

The reason I'd recommend the XFX is because they have a double lifetime warranty. They way that works is, you get a lifetime warranty as usual, but of you were to sell the card 2nd hand, the 2nd owner ALSO gets the full warranty as if they were the original buyer.

Hope that helps explains it all to you! Like I said, if the 90 Day step-up does not interest you, I'd go with the cheapest between the two. They both have excellent after-sales support.
Old December 20, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Because I've been using their Brand of GPU's for the past 5-7 yrs and have never had any negative issues.

Old December 20, 2008, 07:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'd recommend EVGA just because I had to RMA a faulty 680i board, and they were extremely good about it. Shipped it back out the same day and the new board worked perfectly (or as perfect as 680i can be). They are generally very good about RMAs and their step-up program is an added bonus.
Old December 20, 2008, 08:30 PM
Top Prospect

Don't know about XFX but I'm pretty sure EVGA lets you use water blocks etc without voiding their warranty...
Old December 20, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzEr View Post
Don't know about XFX but I'm pretty sure EVGA lets you use water blocks etc without voiding their warranty...
XFX does allow third party coolers, just like EVGA. It's really up to you man. Either go for the Step-up program from EVGA, or go with XFX for double liftime. I've personally dealt with XFX and their CS is fantastic.
Old December 20, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Don't know about XFX but I'm pretty sure EVGA lets you use water blocks etc without voiding their warranty..
No idea, I have not had a use for Water Blocks on my present Cards as the Air Cooling solution provides for adequate OC's (provided your Case provides adequate Air Circulation)....I'm sure someone that uses the Water Blocks will chime in though...