Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2008, 11:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default HD4850 Crossfire

Well finally, after 2 months, got my Diamond card back from RMA. And while I was waiting for that RMA, I bought a HIS HD4850, so now I have Crossfire

However, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about cooling on the Diamond card. The TwinTurbo would fit on the first card but it eats up all 3 slots so it'd be right up against the 2nd card basically. And well as you can see in the picture, there's not exactly much space below the 2nd card either. Just a single PCI slot then my PSU. I am getting a Xonar DX which will free up that PCI slot though. Might have to sell my TwinTurbo and get a Trad2 or that Scythe one.

Old December 18, 2008, 11:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

*sigh* problems right out of the gate...

Apparently any driver past 8.10 doesn't really support HD4850 Crossfire, even the hotfix 8.12 which is supposed to fix it...

Have to disable the Ati External Event Utility to get it to boot without a BSOD however this apparently reduces performance and limits the functionality of CCC, mainly Overdrive.
Old December 18, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Huh...that sucks...looks very cramped in their as well, not much space for those Cards to "breath". I know its somewhat irrelevant, but I do have to say that my SLI arrangement was completely painless, as in total "plug n play", simply select "enable SLI" in the nVidia Control Panel and good to go...!
Hopefully the Catalyst Drivers will mature as the popularity of Crossfire increases.

Old December 18, 2008, 01:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Having the Ati External Event Utility doesn't seem to have any side effects.

However, just running 3DMark06, the results are not very impressive. I only gained about 4000 points, putting me just over 19k.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thats excellent then...its all good..now game away!!

Old December 18, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Having the Ati External Event Utility doesn't seem to have any side effects.

However, just running 3DMark06, the results are not very impressive. I only gained about 4000 points, putting me just over 19k.
Don't worry about 3dmark06, its extremely CPU limited, I bet you can crank the AA and RES up without your 06 score dropping much.
Old December 18, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Don't worry about 3dmark06, its extremely CPU limited, I bet you can crank the AA and RES up without your 06 score dropping much
So true....simply OC'ing a Duo Core will result in very significant gains in 3D scores......simply replacing my Duo Core with Q9550 would likely increase a 3D06 score by (I'm guesstimating) 3 - 4K
When gaming in either xFire or SLI it all comes down to Drivers and how well the Cards Scale.

Old December 18, 2008, 04:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Vantage shows better gains with Crossfire IMO.

Single HIS HD4850 @ 690/1190

Crossfire - HIS @ 690/1190; Diamond @ 675/1100

And game wise, haven't noticed any major gains in GTA4, Crysis or Dead Space. All about the same. In GRID I can run 8xAA now without it getting choppy.
Old December 18, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can you not OC both Cards to run at the same Core / Memory /speeds = same Bandwidth? Does ATI not have one OC'ing Utility whereby it would set the OC speeds to both Cards? (not having to adjust seperately).
Quote:
nd game wise, haven't noticed any major gains in GTA4, Crysis or Dead Space. All about the same.
That is kinda odd, must be a "scaling" or Driver issue with Crossfire as I had as much as a 30 - 40% increase in FPS going from single GPU to SLI.
GTX 280 vs GTX 280 SLI...Benches

Old December 18, 2008, 07:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I don't know. Apparently HD4850 Crossfire is kind of broken so that could be why.

And the cards are clocked independently of each other and well my HIS card can do higher than the Diamond so that's why I set it like that. Then when Crossfire isn't really used in a game, I still have my normal HD4850 at it's usual clocks.

I'll probably see if running them at the same speed has any performance effect compared to running them at different speeds.