ATI 18 54.55%
NVIDIA 15 45.45%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2008, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have an ATI card, but I think in the long run nVidia would be better. Overall they seem to perform more steadily than ATI, and their warranty support from EVGA and XFX are superb. But the warranty thing could change, now that XFX could be manufacturing ATI cards soon...
Old December 18, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
nvidia all the way.

Much better driver support.
Quote:
I have an ATI card, but I think in the long run nVidia would be better. Overall they seem to perform more steadily than ATI, and their warranty support from EVGA and XFX are superb. But the warranty thing could change, now that XFX could be manufacturing ATI cards soon...
I completely agree with the above statements. I also tend to see a lot more posts re: ATI on this and other Forums from folks having problems with:
1. Drivers (Problematic Catalyst Drivers)
2. Excessive heat n noise
3. Issues OC'ing
4. Poor warranty and customer support
With that said, some folks are going to stick with what they are "comfortable" with, regardless of performance and known problems. Now I'm not stating that all nVidia GPU's are without any of these stated problems, however, in 5 yrs and various GPU's I haven't come across any myself, personally.

Old December 18, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I completely agree with the above statements. I also tend to see a lot more posts re: ATI on this and other Forums from folks having problems with:
1. Drivers (Problematic Catalyst Drivers)
2. Excessive heat n noise
3. Issues OC'ing
4. Poor warranty and customer support
With that said, some folks are going to stick with what they are "comfortable" with, regardless of performance and known problems. Now I'm not stating that all nVidia GPU's are without any of these stated problems, however, in 5 yrs and various GPU's I haven't come across any myself, personally.
Yeah, those are the issues that are getting me away from ATI.

1. All drivers didn't work for me at all except 8.10, and that was only sometimes.
2. The fan was audible, and it was the loudest of my case.
3. Well, I didn't have problems here.
4. Yep, I still haven't gotten a reply from Diamond.. I think their support is like.. one person or something.
Old December 18, 2008, 08:00 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Yesterday ATI was better. Today it's nVidia.
Old December 18, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I had to choose I would pick Nvidia over ATI. ATI and their stupid warranty on aftermarket coolers! If you change the stock heatsink you have no warranty. That is so lame. I don't mind 3 year warranty over lifetime because in all honesty if you have your GPU longer then 3 years you wont be able to play any new games. Although Nvidia also has better pre overclocked GPUs but you can always overclock yourself. Now the heat issue is on BOTH camps. Anyone remember the early 8800 GT? Or how about other 8800 series cards? Or how about even some of Nvidias mid range cards like the 7600 GT that could easily get to 80c. Now most of ATI's line-up have higher temps but I find ATI's cards can take heat way better then Nvidia's cards. Every nvidia card that I had would also artifact if I got to the 80c point but every ATI card doesn't even artifact in the 100c area. Driver wise both have serios issues at times. I don't think ATI or Nvidia either have better drivers. Both have pluses and minuses. Now as a company on prices I think ATI is better. I hate it when ATI is down and nvidia just releases cards that are 5% faster or worse then last gen (8 series to 9 series) just because they can. Plus put them at ridicuosly high prices. So both companies have good and bad parts. Although I hear a lot more recalls of nvidia cards then ATI cards.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 18, 2008, 10:09 PM
Top Prospect

I like Nvidia better because it's all I know. I also find it easier to compare specs between nvidia cards, probably because I look at them more, but whatever :P

Soon up and running:
Thunder
ASUS Rampage II Gene \\ Intel i7 920 \\ EVGA GTX 275 \\ Corsair 6GB 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 \\ WD Caviar Black 640GB \\ Blu Ray Drive \\ Corsair HX620W \\ NZXT Rogue
Old December 18, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Now the heat issue is on BOTH camps
- Agree, to a certain extent, 9800X2 and this new 295X2 (likely) very poor design overall, however, with the simplified operation of setting Fan Speed Profiles in Precision and the "downclocking of the Core" while in 2D Mode the Temps of both (I've had both) the 260 and 280 are pretty bloody good considering the weight they pull, as in 39c Idle downclocked and 71c under full load Crysis Warhead. Yes, my 8800GTX was toasty, but not that bad - idle 42c Load 76c - but we're talking present Cards.
Quote:
Or how about even some of Nvidias mid range cards like the 7600 GT that could easily get to 80c.
Upon purchasing my 6800GT "way back when" and OC'ing to Ultra speeds, to be quite honest, I completely skipped the 7 Series as the 6800GT was incredible, wasn't threw Crysis at it and realized it could only rum it at Medium settings that I went for the 8800GTX.
Quote:
Now most of ATI's line-up have higher temps but I find ATI's cards can take heat way better then Nvidia's cards.
- They have to, overall they run hot! See following quote
Quote:
I have got 4870 1GB with stock cooling. It is quiet, but idles at 76, loads at 86.
A little hot for long term use.
I see few custom cooling designs for 4870, but all of them do not throw hot air outside of the case (the only right solution IMHO for the hot cards).
Does anyone know the quiet custom cooling device for 4870 1GB which pumps hot air outside the case and keeps idle temps in 50-60 range?
Or should I start watercooling?
Quote:
Every nvidia card that I had would also artifact if I got to the 80c point but every ATI card doesn't even artifact in the 100c area.
- I agree, nVidia Cards do not stand up well to heat because realy they're simply not designed to run that hot....sure they claim 105c, but definite instability at higher Temps - sounds like you had some very poor Case Air Flow issues going on thier as mentioned previously, even my 8800 GTX (infamous for running warm) never got above 76c in my old crappy Smilidon Case (poor airflow) playing Crysis.
Quote:
Driver wise both have serios issues at times. I don't think ATI or Nvidia either have better drivers.
Am I missing something here....I've been updating Forceware Drivers on my Rigs since 2004 and don't recall any serios "issues" other than the odd Driver that doesn't optimize a game better than another an occasional "suspect" Beta Driver,,,but honestly....even the Betas are usually pretty good, I was running 180.43 for the longest time prior to 180.48 WHQL - don't agree with this statement.
Quote:
Although I hear a lot more recalls of nvidia cards then ATI cards.
- huh?!