Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2008, 03:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Why dont benchmarks include slightly older hardware?

I know my pcs getting old, but I'm not quite ready for an upgrade, no matter how much I want to, so I like to compare what I currently have to the most recent crop which is more guess work than anything currently. But to my point, why dont benchmarks include the previous gen at least? The occurrence even of seeing a GTX280, a 4870 and even a 3870 or 8800 something or other in a review together is almost unheard of. We cant all afford to upgrade every gen or even every 2nd gen.
Old December 19, 2008, 05:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

My guess is that it's simply a matter of time/resources. I've never had to write a vid card review, but I can imagine that a proper one takes quite a bit of time. Reviewers don't have an unlimited number of identical test beds, so swapping out cards, installing drivers, etc. can get pretty tedious.

For a quick review of the latest Slightly Overclocked XXT EXTREME Edition of an existing architecture, including even the last generation doesn't make much sense. If you look around, though, you'll find a number of sites that will do periodic roundups that include cards from a couple of gens back.
Old December 19, 2008, 05:31 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

A quick look at a random review at the Tech Report(the 4850 first look) shows that they included 2-3 generations of Nvidia hardware (depending on how you look at G80 vs G92) and 3 from ATI. Not bad if you ask me.
Old December 19, 2008, 06:16 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Well, take it with a grain of salt but Tomshardware has a GPU chart with quite the selection of old and new cards.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 19, 2008, 06:55 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Also, maybe they don't have these older cards. They give them away or give them back to the MF. But you do, bench the games yourself and then see what the new card will gain you.
Old December 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
But you do, bench the games yourself and then see what the new card will gain you.
It is extremely time consuming and the majority of folks that are interested in how these Cards stack up really want to know the jist of the newer gen Cards...simple! Personally I know how my old 8800GTX would stack up against a mid to high end ATI Card or a 260 / 280.....it will be below their respective graphs...so whats the point?
As Squeet suggested..run the Benchmark your self and compare it against the posted results of the review.

Old December 19, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

People arent buying cards that arent for sale anymore, the comparisons are meant to help users decide about what to buy when upgrading. Anything new is going to hugely outperform old gen, that is a given.
Old December 19, 2008, 09:55 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Certain reviews take a look at how some of the older generation cards perform depending on focus of the review and what the reviewer has access to, with the game hardware performance reviews (GHPR for short) we try and take a look at how some older gen cards perform, but for video card reviews Eldonko hit the nail on the head. Reviews - for the most part - are intended to compare the here and now, what is available for purchase, against each other, comparing EOL and discontinued products would be nice, but not feasible. For the most part people want to know which product to upgrade to, not how much better performance will they get.

The time consumption for indepth testing is ridiculous - To put it in perspective, for a well rounded review on a video card you can expect roughly 8 hours of testing to get the numbers for only a SINGLE card.
Old December 19, 2008, 10:39 AM
MVP

Here's one for u crysis sp demo, nvcp default in game all high no aa af, comp in sig.
!TimeDemo Run 3 Finished.
Play Time: 58.40s, Average FPS: 34.24
Min FPS: 20.12 at frame 158, Max FPS: 41.83 at frame 1006
Average Tri/Sec: -31837368, Tri/Frame: -929698
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: -0.99
TimeDemo Play Ended, (4 Runs Performed)
Old December 19, 2008, 11:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
The time consumption for indepth testing is ridiculous - To put it in perspective, for a well rounded review on a video card you can expect roughly 8 hours of testing to get the numbers for only a SINGLE card.
Bingo. Add to that the fact that we here usually retest EVERY card when a new WHQL driver comes out...well, you can imagine.