Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2008, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The 9600GT is pretty close to the 8800GT but since both cost close to the seem I would go with the 9800GT.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old December 15, 2008, 08:09 AM
Rookie

I'd recommend the 4870 or the 4870X2.

I have the X2 and the thing took my crap PC and turned it into a monster! Worth every penny.

Only downside is I'm going to have to watercool the sucker because the ASUS stock fan is so noisy. But damn is it ever powerful.
Old December 15, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I'd recommend the 4870 or the 4870X2.

I have the X2 and the thing took my crap PC and turned it into a monster! Worth every penny.

Only downside is I'm going to have to watercool the sucker because the ASUS stock fan is so noisy. But damn is it ever powerful.
Check the OP's gaming Resolution - 1280 x 1024.....why waste money on a GPU thats around $500 - $700 ??? Wouldn't't be very wise
+1 for Ballistix suggestions, considering his Res a lower end GPU is suffice!

Old December 15, 2008, 10:45 AM
Rookie

He just said that is what he "usually games on".

Personally, I think anyone getting a new vid card should make sure it can power a 30" screen. Whether you have one or not. In 2 years from now when (if) those suckers get cheap, you'll be kicking yourself wishing you had of bought the right card.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Personally, I think anyone getting a new vid card should make sure it can power a 30" screen. Whether you have one or not. In 2 years from now when (if) those suckers get cheap, you'll be kicking yourself wishing you had of bought the right card.
Not everyone will be gaming on a 30" monitor.......2 Yrs from now your ATI x2 GPU will be "old hat" as will my 280 SLI Cards......he's likely on a Budget and does not mention increasing to a larger monitor.

Old December 15, 2008, 12:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
That's pretty bad thinking IMO. As said above, after 2 years, that card is going to be pretty slow and will not run any of the current games (of that time) at 2560x1600. Normally after 6 months, a high-end card has turned into a mid-range card. A year at the most. However the 8800GTX held it's own for quite awhile due to NVIDIA being cocky and ATI not really competing.

Also I'd take a guess that your CPU is severely bottlenecking your HD4870X2 since you claim you have a "crap PC".
Old December 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

In 2 years from now other video cards will be on the market, no sense in buying something for a 30-40" screen that you don't have and don't intent to buy for the pc..Normally a gpu would hold 1-2 years, this varies from person to person..I'm smelling a new rig coming soon therefore I'm gonna wait to see what those new Phenoms are capable of and if some new cards will hit the market..Cheers.
Old December 15, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
He just said that is what he "usually games on".

That's just wasted money. Using a X2 on 1280x1024 is just plain stupid. It would be absolutely cheaper to buy a cheap card that can play the game maxed out at that resolution and then 2 years from now scrap it and buy another new one. Easy as that. You would save well over $250 if you were to do that.