Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
If you want extra cooling i would suggest an Antec Spot cool fan. Here is the link on Ncix but they usually go on sale for around 11-14 bucks so a good deal.

NCIX.com - Buy Antec Spot Cool Adjustable System Cooler Blue LED 3 Speed 2000-3000RPM 23-33DBA 15-22CFM - SPOT COOL In Canada.

I use two to cool my Mofsets and ram and they work just fine.
Spot fans are a band-aid for bad case air flow.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:39 AM
MVP

That's why I love these forums. Now I get to try GPU-Z, and RivaTuner. And I get to test out an Antec Spot cool Fan. It's all good! :)
Old December 12, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

You don't need a spot fan.

Properly setting up fan speeds in Riva Tuner will do WONDERS.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you want to monitor Temps and any GPU settings while gaming and avoid all the hassle of "learning" to set up Riva, use Precision, both for OC'ing and monitoring Temps while playing games..no brainer! Simply download n install Precision, then set up the OSD (On Screen Display) to show Core speeds, Framerates and Temps of GPU. (realtime Temps are displayed while gaming)
As you're playing you can keep an eye up in the corner of the screen of all pertinent GPU data...if you want to get rid of it, simply disable OSD, setting up Profiles is a breeze as well. Precision is simply a "hacked down simplified" version of Riva.

Old December 12, 2008, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Here you go
EVGA | EVGA Precision

Old December 12, 2008, 08:59 AM
MVP

You guys are great - thanks! I probably will get the little fan though because I love stuff like that - call me silly!
zilla
Old December 12, 2008, 08:39 PM
MVP

I just have to say, after trying Precision, everything is great! I bumped up my fan speeds for the GPU and I played for three hours, no problems. Now I just need to figure out how to have it on screen while I game. RJBarker, thanks man! And I did order one of those little spot fans just because I love that kind of stuff!
Old December 12, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Precision is a great tool. I have my 280 with the fan clocked at 60%, and its practically in-audible, and the cards never tops 65c on load. Another reason why I love EVGA.

-edit...... oops typo :S

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter

Last edited by mattlef; December 13, 2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old December 12, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My Precision is set-up with 3 Profiles:
1. Idle 2 D mode - Fan Speed 50%
2. Gaming 3D Mode - Fan Speed 75%
3. Gaming Crysis Warhead - Fan Speed 85%

To set-up OSD:
1. Open Precision and click on the Tools icon "the wrench"
2. Under "graphs" Highlite either Temp, Core Clock Shader Clock Framerate etc then go below and check the "Show in Onscrene Display" box, I also check the "Show in Tray Icon"
3. Under General Tabs check off "Start With Windows" and "Start Minimized"...then it will all be up n running when you boot.

Check out the Precision Guide using the link I gave you...it really is simple and great. I used to use Riva and had to "teach" myself how to set up Profiles and crap if I hadn't used it in awhile.

Old December 12, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I have my 280 with the fan clocked at 60%, and its practically in-audible, and the cards never tops 55c on load. Another reason why I love EVGA.
Hey Matt...you got that 280 running under water? 55c under load at 60% Fan...wow!!! That is the coolest Temp I've ever heard of with these bad boys....under load....are you OC'd or no..
really...my SLI set-up playing Warhead, all Enthusiast 1920 x 1200 no AA , Fan at 85% and I will still hit 66 - 70c and that is with great cooling Silverstone Case with a 120mm Fan pointing right at the cards.